Best answer

Salesforce - Convert a Lead to a Contact

• 25 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hi there!

I’m trying to set up a zap that would convert a Lead to a Contact in Salesforce.

I’m looking for a zap action that would replicate what I do manually when clicking ‘Convert’ on a Salesforce Lead:

-Choosing the Account the Contact will be attached to based on the domain of the Lead → possible through the ‘Create Contact’ action

-Naming the Contact → possible through the ‘Create Contact’ action

-Choosing the record owner → possible through the ‘Create Contact’ action

-Choosing a Converted Status → possible through the ‘Create Contact’ action

Then, upon clicking ‘Convert’, Salesforce will mark the Lead as converted and make a link between the converted Lead and the resulting records.

So I would also need to update the Lead with:

-Marking the Lead as converted → I did not find the option to update the field IsConverted in the ‘Update Lead’ action

-Filling in the Converted Date → I did not find the option to update the field Converted Date in the ‘Update Lead’ action

-Filling in the Converted Contact Id → I did not find the option to update the field ConvertedContactId in the ‘Update Lead’ action

Does anyone have an idea on how to maintain the link between the original Lead and the converted Contact created from it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by SamB 25 April 2023, 15:18

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @club_claire, thanks for joining the Community!

Ah, I did some checking and as you’ve spotted, there’s no option to convert a lead into a contact. We’ve got a feature request open to have a “Convert Lead” action added to the Salesforce app so I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to that. I can’t make any promises as to when that would be added, but we’ll email you as soon as it becomes available! 

There’s no workarounds reported at the minute but I wonder if you might be able to use the API Request (Beta) (Salesforce) action to send a request through to Saleforce’s convertLead() API endpoint. I’ve not tested this myself but it looks like that API endpoint would allow you to convert an existing lead. It’s an advanced feature so may not be an ideal solution here, but I thought it worth mentioning just in case.

If you’re interested in trying that you can find out more about how to use that feature here: Create an API request in your Zaps (Beta)

Hope that helps! If you do get it working using that API Request workaround please let us know! 🙂