Best answer

Reply to existing Gmail message

• 28 July 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

When someone posts in a specific Slack Channel, I want it to email via Gmail and I have this step down. I included TS (which I believe is unique) in both the subject and the body.

Went Slack to Path

Path A = if TS does not exist

Send new email (good up to this part)

Path B, I want to reply to the original email if the TS already exists (someone replies to the thread). There is a find email option but that kind of dead ends after it finds an email. There is also a Reply to email option but not sure how to create a gmail search thread here and coming up dry on Googling this.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 31 July 2020, 13:45

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @scottylip!

You should be able to do this with a Find Email step and then the Reply to Email action. 

The Find Email action will give you a thread ID that you can use as a Custom value in the Reply to Email step. To add the custom value:

Go to the Reply to Email action and in the drop down where you would pick the email to which you want to reply, click the ‘Custom option’

Click on the dropdown arrow for the Find Email step

Then scroll down the fields in the Find Email step until you find the Thread ID:

Use the Thread ID as the Custom value for the Thread field and you should be good to go!

One thing to consider is that the Gmail search is sometimes a bit ‘wooly’, so you’ll want to make sure that it can find the email thread that you want every time. The search in Zapier uses exactly  the same search as if you were searching in the Gmail app, so the best way to check your search term is to try it out in the app. The Zapier action will use the top search result as the ‘found’ email, so make sure that when you test your search, the email that you want is first in the list. 

I hope that helps!