Question

Replay Zap After Delay Has Passed

• 17 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello! We have a multi-step Zap set up with a series of delays for when someone signs up for our text platform. 

Example…

• customer signs up
  • delay 1 day
  • text A goes out
  • delay 3 days
  • text B goes out
  • delay 5 days
  • text C goes out

A large group of customers (over 100) are being notified as an error. If we reply the errors we are worried that none of the texts will go out b/c now were are well past all the delay times OR will they all go out at once? 

Any insight would be so appreciated!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello! Would you be able to share with us the error you are seeing so we can help you troubleshoot? A screenshot would be helpful I think so we can point you in the right direction

Userlevel 1

@andywingrave thank you for the reply! The error we are seeing says… “Task was stopped because its Zap has diverged too much due to changes in the addition/removal/ordering of steps, or substitution of apps.”

For the delay function…

1. We read documentation that we cannot set up tasks outside of a 30 day window from the time of the trigger. 
  2. We also we were told that Zapier delays are set up from the time of the INITIAL trigger. So if you want to set up a multi-step Zap, you would choose a time delay from the trigger. BUT if you review this screenshot below, it appears that each delay in a multi-step delay is timed from the last step / action NOT the time of the initial trigger. 

So we have a series of questions….

1. How does a Zapier multi-step delay work? Does each delay fire from time of the initial trigger? Or is each delay timed from when the last step fired?
  2. For a single trigger, is there a 30 day window that a delays must stay inside?
  3. If we replay an error on a delayed step, are the multi-step delays honored even if they’re outside the 30 day window AND even if they’re all outside of the trigger time?

1. We also we were told that Zapier delays are set up from the time of the INITIAL trigger. So if you want to set up a multi-step Zap, you would choose a time delay from the trigger. BUT if you review this screenshot below, it appears that each delay in a multi-step delay is timed from the last step / action NOT the time of the initial trigger. 

Hi, similar issue. I have a zap that calls me before a calendar event.

I tried the delay that but it delays based on when the event was discovered, not based on when it starts (so it’s not very useful). 

So, instead, I tried to add some more logic (a date filter to subtract 3 mins). However, now I'm getting an error:
"Task was stopped because its Zap has diverged too much due to changes in the addition/removal/ordering of steps, or substitution of apps."

I have no idea what this means (and the help page says nothing about it).

I’ve contacted Zapier support and am awaiting their reply.