Best answer

Reoccurring Move File in Google Drive

Userlevel 1

Please assist.

Here’s what I am trying to do in the zap.

1. Email to zapier with an excel attachment (works)
  2. Add to excel file to Google drive (works)
  3. Move excel file to a different folder in Google drive (works)
  4. Next day Email to zapier with an excel attachment with same file name (works)
  5. Add excel file with same name to Google drive (works)
  6. Move the new excel file with same name to a different folder in Google drive (does NOT work)

The move function will only work once.  I assume because the first move is linked to the file ID and even though the next day’s file is named the same, the following move won’t move it because now there’s a new file ID. 

Question - How do I set up the move action in the zap so that tit will find the revised file ID each time? 

(By the way, I tried to use a Find step to find the same File Name.  This did not work.  I was hopeful as I read this suggestion here.)

icon

Best answer by christina.d 15 May 2022, 23:06

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @NC-Kin 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured with the variables mapped between Zap steps in order for us to have more context, thanks.

Make sure you are dynamically mapping the GDrive File ID between Zap steps.

Help article: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action#set-up-your-action

Userlevel 1

Hey @Troy Tessalone,

Thanks for the response.  I should clarify that I am using two zaps - one to upload the excel file and another to move.  I couldn’t figure out a way to have them in one zap, but wanted to give context.  Also, I’m only in the test mode at this time.

So, below are the pertinent Find and Move the excel file that is failing after the first time.

Like I shared above, the test works once and then stops working even though the file I upload to Google Drive has the same name.

Please advise.  Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NC-Kin

Are you instead not able to use 1 Zap action: GDrive - Upload File

You can specify the Folder for where to upload the File.

Also, the screenshot for Step 3 doesn’t show how your Zap step is configured, which is the context we’d need.

Perhaps these should be your Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Email by Zapier - New Inbound Email
  2. Action: GDrive - Find/Create Folder
  3. Action: GDrive - Upload File
Userlevel 1

Hey @Troy Tessalone,

If I understand you correctly, it’s a timing issue for one zap to do everything because I have two triggers (one being an email and another being a date).  Thus, I separated them, which I’m okay with.

The heart of the problem is that the Move action only works once in the second zap, despite the file being named the same.  And, as I mentioned, I tried to do the Find function in hope it would help the Move action, but it still did not work.

Generally speaking, here’s what’s happening.

---

Zap1 - xMonday - via email upload the file to Google Drive

Zap2 - xFriday - find & move the file uploaded on xMonday to a different folder in Google Drive

Zap1 - yMonday - via email upload the same named file to Google Drive

Zap2 - yFriday - finding & moving the yMonday file doesn’t work even though the file name from xFriday is the same yFriday

---

Does this make sense?  Happy to clarify anything else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NC-Kin

Why not use a Delay step in your Zap then to avoid having to use multiple Zaps and encountering the other issue?

https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-delays-to-zaps#delay-for

Again, the screenshot for Step 3 doesn’t show how your Zap step is configured, which is the context we’d need.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @NC-Kin! I’ve been reading through your issue here and I am wondering if using paths logic would better suited instead of using two zaps? Maybe that could solve the issue of the file not being found? 🤔 I’m not 100% sure if this would work but figured it’d be worth a shot if you haven’t tried it yet! Here’s a link to branching logic with paths. https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-branching-logic-to-zaps-with-paths

Best of luck! 🙂

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone - Oh!  I didn’t realize that was an option.  Yesterday was my first day creating a zap.  I will look into the Delay action for sure!

Any advise on the Move step now working the 2nd time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NC-Kin 

Check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Otherwise, we’d need to see full detailed screenshots for each Zap step in order to have the context to evaluate and advise more.

Userlevel 1

Hi @TamRazzleDazzle - Thanks for the suggestion!  I will definitely test it.

Hey @Troy Tessalone - I was only the testing phase of the Move zap, so there’s no history.  Maybe what I’ll try to do is turn it on and see what history shows.  I’ll reach back out so I’ve tested that out as well as the delay step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NC-Kin 

When testing, make sure to change your trigger test data: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

And make sure to retest each Zap step manually.

Userlevel 1

Hey @Troy Tessalone -  How do I get the File field (seen below) to update?  It seems to be holding onto to old files that I’ve since deleted. 

Btw, my trigger is an inbound email and I’m sending new emails with the excel attachment.

Is there any way we can do a screenshare so that I can show you live what is occurring?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NC-Kin 

Use the ‘Custom’ mapping option and provide the GDrive File ID from a previous step.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone - Thanks for all your help yesterday!  I don’t know why but today the zap is working as intended.  I didn’t change anything.  🤷 I did, however, add in the delay step you recommended which is super helpful.  Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Amazing, @NC-Kin! We’re so glad to hear you were able to get this working. Thanks for keeping the Community updated! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, friends! I wanted to consolidate some of the responses here in case it’s helpful for anyone following along. 🤗

Troy recommended trying these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Email by Zapier - New Inbound Email
  2. Action: GDrive - Find/Create Folder
  3. Action: GDrive - Upload File

He also suggested trying a Delay step in the Zap to avoid having to use multiple Zaps. Here’s some helpful reading for how to setup delays in Zaps.

This was also presented as alternative:

Hey @NC-Kin! I’ve been reading through your issue here and I am wondering if using paths logic would better suited instead of using two zaps? Maybe that could solve the issue of the file not being found? 🤔 I’m not 100% sure if this would work but figured it’d be worth a shot if you haven’t tried it yet! Here’s a link to branching logic with paths. https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-branching-logic-to-zaps-with-paths

I hope this is helpful!