Best answer

Renaming an attachment (Gmail to Basecamp)

• 23 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

I’m new to Zapier and have spent a fair amount of time trying to work this out to no avail. I’m not very technically savvy, so if someone could break this down simply for me, that would be incredibly appreciated.

I am converting emails to a new document on Basecamp.

I have everything set, except the attachment comes out as a very long string of text:

I would like to format the attachment in the clearest way possible, ideally by replacing it with just the original file’s name. 

I have tried using the formatter, but I’m not entirely sure what tool to use and the changes I have experimented with so far don’t seem to change it - although maybe I am doing this wrong! 

Thank you,

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 23 April 2021, 20:05

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @blueflame8 

Try using this as your Zap trigger: Gmail - New Attachment

One of the returned data points should be the file name of the attachment.

Userlevel 1

Hi @blueflame8 

Try using this as your Zap trigger: Gmail - New Attachment

One of the returned data points should be the file name of the attachment.

Thanks for getting back to me Troy. So I have tried this out, but I’m not sure how I now change the long file link (for the attachment) into just a short file name (that can still be downloaded as an attachment). Is this a particular ‘formatting’ step I need to take?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueflame8 

For the file use this returned data point:

For the file name use this returned data point:

Userlevel 1

@blueflame8

For the file use this returned data point:

For the file name use this returned data point:

Thanks Troy - just so I’m being clear, I don’t have an issue generating the attachment or the attachment name on Basecamp, but I want to replace the file link (which seems to show up very long) with something short (like the file name, but it doesn’t have to be). 

Basically, when we’re then sending this to clients, it looks quite messy if it’s a very long file name, whereas I’d like a short downloadable link.

Is this something that is possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueflame8 

Try first uploading the attachment to a GDrive (Upload File) which gives you the option to specify the File Name and File Extension

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueflame8 

When you’re uploading the file to Basecamp in the Zap step, is there an option to specify the file name?

Perhaps you can provide a screenshot of the inputs for that Zap step.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Yep there is - here is where I’ve got to so far (I’ve redacted identifiable names):

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @blueflame8 

Try clicking this link and formatting the attachment file using HTML tags like this.

Userlevel 1

Hi @blueflame8 

Try clicking this link and formatting the attachment file using HTML tags like this.

Apologies for the slow response. After some experimenting, this did the trick - thank you very much for your help!