Question

Remove Discord role when Ghost.org membership changes?

• 26 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Our platform relies on paid memberships to access information on our website. We are wanting to create a discord community, but need to keep the information behind the paywall. Ideally, the setup would work similarly to this thread:

Our plan was to use roles in Discord to differentiate between paid and nonpaid members. The main thing to set up was removing a role once a person’s membership is canceled. When trying to set up the zap using “Remove User Role in Discord” we run into an error once we test it. 

This is the error we get: {"user_id": ["Value \"XxxXxxxxxxxx\" is not snowflake."]}

What can I do from here?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey there @Trade Confident! Your issue looks similar to one I have seen before so I wonder if the same solution would work for you! A summary would be that discord is using a different value to find the user. Here is a link to the issue that had the same error come up.

Maybe try to add a “find user” step for discord prior to the “remove user role” step. Hopefully that resolves your issue! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the help @TamRazzleDazzle ! 

I agree, "Find User” is the solution, but how can we link a Ghost.org/Stripe user to their Discord account? I saw a solution of having Discord users fill out a Google form using both their Discord ID and membership email to link the two, but I’m wondering if there’s another option?

The “Find User” function still has us try to find the username based on an input from Ghost.org/Stripe, but those won’t match any actual users on Discord. Because of this, even the Find User function can’t seem to link members to Discord users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Trade Confident,

Is it possible to add a custom field for collecting the Discord User ID, on the Ghost.org/Stripe form that is filled out when they sign up/cancel their membership?

If so, you could potentially use that as a way of matching up the user ID to the membership email address. You may also need to keep records of the username and corresponding email address in a spreadsheet/database type of app. Which can then be searched by the Zap to provide the Discord step with the user ID that it needs to remove the role.

Do you think that approach could work?