Best answer

Recurring Google Event - Invite new user to only a single occurance

Userlevel 1

Hello! I’m hoping to find help with this matter:

I have an event (new hire orientation) that occurs every 2 weeks. The event place and time are the same so we have a recurring event set up in Google. 

I’d like to add new hires to the next upcoming occurance of orientation once they’re added to a Google Sheet.  Is that possible in Zapier?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 8 July 2022, 01:28

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @a_radriguez 

This should be doable, need to try some different methods, one way I can think of is:

1. Trigger: New or updated row in Google sheet: New hire
  2. Action: Find next occurrence of the event in google calendar; you can specify the date range which I think will be +14 days
  3. Action: Add attendee to that event
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hiya @a_radriguez! I wanted to stop by and see if you were still needing assistance with this? We’d love to know! 🤗

Userlevel 1

@robschmidt I wasn’t able to get my Zap to add attendees to the event that it found.

@christina.d still struggling here. We have a 3 day long event that occurs every two weeks. The calendar event is recurring but each session has new attendees. Any tips?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @a_radriguez oh no! Okay, let’s see if we can get to the bottom of this for you! I hear attendees are not being added to the found event. Are no attendees being added? Is your Zap showing successes in your Zap history? How is your Zap set up? With a bit more information around how things have been configured and what is/isn’t working, we can continue to brainstorm here and do our best to get this working for ya. 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge

@a_radriguez 

Tried to create a Zap to share: https://zapier.com/shared/a4ddab761eb6d05b17fe5fa1252d5877b62709d3

Never seen what a Zap looks like from the share link, but this one has a +1d in the “Start Time” for the “Find Event in Google Calendar” because otherwise it’ll look backwards first. Just make the search the name of the event (assuming it’s unique and won’t find other events on your calendar).

For adding attendees, make sure you’re using the same calendar as from Find Event, for Event use the dynamic ID field from step 2, and for attendees, add the dynamic field email from step 1.  

I tested it out and it added me to the next calendar event, not any of the recurring events. 

What might be causing an issue is that new row is instant, so if you create a new row, but it doesn’t have an email address, the Zap will trigger and even if you add an email shortly after, it has already sent the row information through the Zap. You need to add the email address as part of creating the new row. That is one of the reasons I prefer Airtable for these kinds of things, I find it easier to create dependencies that require an email before the new record will trigger the Zap.

You could probably create another Sheet within the Worksheet that is for this Zap, and it only adds new rows from another row when an email is included.

Userlevel 1

Hey @a_radriguez oh no! Okay, let’s see if we can get to the bottom of this for you! I hear attendees are not being added to the found event. Are no attendees being added? Is your Zap showing successes in your Zap history? How is your Zap set up? With a bit more information around how things have been configured and what is/isn’t working, we can continue to brainstorm here and do our best to get this working for ya. 🙂

@jesse no attendees are being added to the found event. The zap appeared to be successful in the history but no configuration I tried was successful in adding the whole group to the event invitiation.

It isn’t set up at all right now - I gave up and walked away after spending hours trying to make it work :( I’m less concerned with a specific Zap process. I really just want to be able to add a group of new hires to a single instance of a recurring calendar event. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@a_radriguez  Can you share a screenshot of the previous Zaps? Did you check to see if it’s actually pulling emails into the action step?

Without seeing a screenshot of a ran Zap, my bet would be that the new row is triggering the Zap before an email has been added to the row. 

Userlevel 1

@a_radriguez

Tried to create a Zap to share: https://zapier.com/shared/a4ddab761eb6d05b17fe5fa1252d5877b62709d3

Never seen what a Zap looks like from the share link, but this one has a +1d in the “Start Time” for the “Find Event in Google Calendar” because otherwise it’ll look backwards first. Just make the search the name of the event (assuming it’s unique and won’t find other events on your calendar).

For adding attendees, make sure you’re using the same calendar as from Find Event, for Event use the dynamic ID field from step 2, and for attendees, add the dynamic field email from step 1.  

I tested it out and it added me to the next calendar event, not any of the recurring events. 

What might be causing an issue is that new row is instant, so if you create a new row, but it doesn’t have an email address, the Zap will trigger and even if you add an email shortly after, it has already sent the row information through the Zap. You need to add the email address as part of creating the new row. That is one of the reasons I prefer Airtable for these kinds of things, I find it easier to create dependencies that require an email before the new record will trigger the Zap.

You could probably create another Sheet within the Worksheet that is for this Zap, and it only adds new rows from another row when an email is included.

@CarlL Thanks for sharing. I’m working through the zap you shared but now Zapier doesn’t have any events for me to select 

Userlevel 1

@a_radriguez

@CarlL Thanks for sharing. I’m working through the zap you shared but now Zapier doesn’t have any events for me to select 

Testing returns “Bargle...”

Userlevel 1
Badge

You need to find an event first. So add a Find Event action between those two actions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @a_radriguez! I wanted to swing by and see if you were able to get this sorted?

I’ll summarize some of CarlL’s responses below as well:

If there aren’t any events to select:

You need to find an event first. So add a Find Event action between those two actions. 

Keep us posted!

Userlevel 1

yes! It worked - Thank you so much @CarlL