Best answer

Receive email with audio attachment, transcribe in OpenAI

• 20 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi

I am trying to get my phone system to email a voicemail to Zapier which will then transcribe in Openai and then email the resulting message on (keeping the attachment as backup).

It fails as I cannot get the email parser or email tool to simply retain the attachment and pass to openai as it complains it isn’t a supported file type. Looks like even though it is just the one audio file it zips the attachments?

Any ideas? 

icon

Best answer by SamB 20 June 2023, 11:54

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @dinohead!

Ah, yes at present Email Parser always supply attachments as zip files. We’ve got a feature request open for the ability to have attachments supplied as individual (unzipped) files, which is also being discussed here:

I’ve gone and added your vote for that feature request. I don’t have any ETA on when that feature would be implemented but we’ll send you an email notification as soon as it is. And if we have any news on that we’ll be sure to share it in the main topic for this feature request.

As a workaround you could try switching to a different email parsing app, like Mailparser for example that would supply attachments as individual files rather than zipped files. Alternatively, you could try using a Extract ZIP Archive (Zip Archive API) action to unzip the file, but that would involve adding an additional action to your Zap so may not be an ideal solution.

Please do keep us in the loop on how you get on, keen to ensure you’re all set in the meantime! 

Welcome to the Community, @dinohead!

Ah, yes at present Email Parser always supply attachments as zip files. We’ve got a feature request open for the ability to have attachments supplied as individual (unzipped) files, which is also being discussed here:

I’ve gone and added your vote for that feature request. I don’t have any ETA on when that feature would be implemented but we’ll send you an email notification as soon as it is. And if we have any news on that we’ll be sure to share it in the main topic for this feature request.

As a workaround you could try switching to a different email parsing app, like Mailparser for example that would supply attachments as individual files rather than zipped files. Alternatively, you could try using a Extract ZIP Archive (Zip Archive API) action to unzip the file, but that would involve adding an additional action to your Zap so may not be an ideal solution.

Please do keep us in the loop on how you get on, keen to ensure you’re all set in the meantime! 

Hi

I have just tried the zip archive API and targeted the attachment. It only returns my signature image (which seems to get added to the zip) but no trace of the attached WAV file from the original email 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for letting us know and appreciate you giving it a shot!

The Zip Archive API app is owned and maintained by their team so it might be worth reaching out to them to see if they have any insight or recommendations. I tried looking for support docs on their site but came up short. If you decide to contact them though, please keep us posted.

Otherwise at present the only other option would be to give a different parsing app a try. I know it’s not ideal and I wish I had a better solution for you!

Please let us know if you stumble on or create a workaround of your own - we’d love to hear about it. 🙂