Question

Really no other way to match up fields with labels?

• 21 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Is there really NO WAY to have the fields fill in on their own when using the same label names as the field names? I have over 150 fields and I do about 30 and hit continue to save them and when I go back in some are saved and some aren’t … it skips around. Yet I know FOR A FACT they were filled in and completed. 
My goal is to get the form linked with Google Sheets but this is making me think its just not reliable enough to set up and show my boss if I sit for hours linking fields and they do not all save on their own. 
Just so disappointed :-( 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Lalla,

Thank you for your question. I understand you can get a bit frustrated when things don’t work as expected. Could you please explain to us a bit more about your issue? 

• What are the apps you are trying to use?
  • What is your final goal with this Zap workflow?
  • And what do you currently have in your Zap? 

Maybe with that information and possibly some screenshots we can help you in the proper way. Thank you

~ Bjorn

Userlevel 1

@ForYourIT I am setting up a Cognito to GSheets zap so that from there I can code a second tab to manipulate data and then use Autocrat to merge into documents.

I currently have it set to add a row to GSheets when someone fills out the form.

I did a lot of this on my last job, but there was a way to get it to recognize fields to match up so it didn’t take the time this is taking and the risk of error such as the fields not saving correctly like I”m facing now. Its just been so long ago and life has been a little hard lately that I can’t remember in detail how I did it before.

Don’t get me wrong, taking the time to link 150+ fields is one thing ...but if I have to do it I have to do it ...but to sit and work for hours only to have it hit and miss what is saved ...THAT is the issue.

I would love to be able to go from form to doc with NO 3rd party plugin but its just not possible for us because I have tried :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Lalla ,

So sorry you are running into this- it does indeed sound frustrating!

I see you have a conversation going with Andy in Support to try and find a better way to handle this workflow which is great as they can look at your specific configuration and Zap to troubleshoot.

Between Andy and Bjorn, I’m hopeful we can find a more efficient way to help you with this flow!

Hi - I’m having a similar problem. Well over 400 fields and the Zap is actually too large, so looks like I’ll need to break it back down. Did you have any luck making this matching exercise any quicker?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Lalla @KristenS ,

I have just personally tried Cognito forms and it looks indeed like this is going to be a challenge. The only thing I know of right now what you could do, is to export the fields every time and import it in sheets.

This way from sheets you can format the data you want again and beautify it. Earlier I was thinking about a loop, but this probably won’t work (unless you found something @Lalla )

Let me know!
~Bjorn