Question

Quickbooks Online (Advanced) Custom Fields on Invoices. Fixed Yet?

• 18 March 2024
  • 1 reply

I was wondering if there was any fix for the issue of custom fields in a Quickbooks Online customer record not being recognized by Zapier for Quickbooks invoices.

I am trying to create a zap to automate creating invoices, but a key piece of data in a custom field from the Customer record needs be included on each invoice for the customer. This is a legal compliance issue, so it’s not a “want,” it’s a “must.”

Unfortunately, this custom field was NOT one of the first three ever created on our Quickbooks Advanced account, and that is immutable, even if you deactivate the previous custom fields. From what I’ve found in previous comments from a year ago, that bug became an issue back in 2021-ish and many people chimed in that it was a problem, no fix was mentioned before the conversation got closed to comments.

If Zapier can’t do this, I need to know ASAP so I stop wasting time trying to get this automation to work and look for a better solution.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @LPAOps, welcome to the Community! 👋

Thanks for letting us know! It looks like the original topic that was tracking affected users was automatically closed so I’ve reopened it now:

The issue appears to have come about from the changes to the QuickBooks Online’s API capabilities for custom fields, where only the first 3 String-based custom fields will be available to use (only for Quickbooks Advanced plan customers). More details here: https://blogs.intuit.com/2019/04/08/enhanced-custom-fields-quickbooks-online-advanced/

As the limitation is imposed on the QuickBooks Online API itself I’m not sure it will be possible to resolve this on our end until QuickBooks removes its limitations for custom fields. I’d recommend reaching out to QuickBooks directly to ask about getting the number of supported custom fields increased as the change would need to be implemented on their side.

I don’t know what the legally required information is that needs to be included is but as a workaround could you potentially add it into the Comments custom field that’s shown in your screenshot? I know it’s not ideal but it should at least allow for the required information to be added to the invoice. 

If you do reach out to QuickBooks please us updated on how that goes. And if there’s anything else I can assist with in the meantime please let me know!