Question

Quickbooks create sales receipt - tax code problem

• 11 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi There,

I have a working new shopify order to quickbooks online sales receipt zap.  I have recently added items to my store that have made me now have different tax codes.  I see that the zapier integration passes 

TaxCodeRef

value

for each line item but when creating the zap I dont see a mechanism to put any logic into the line items to change their tax codes depending on what the product is.

Also open to better suggestions on how to do this.  Thanks!

Brent

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Brent,

What you can do there is use a Lookup Table (part of our Formatter app, under the Utilities section). If you put line items into it, the output will also be line items. In this case I look for First Item and Second Item and when that’s found, I output different values (One and Two, respectively):

Then in my subsequent action step I would map the output of the lookup table. 

NOTE: This looks for an exact match, and not values that contain the terms you use in the table. You can also set a fallback value if you’d like to output something when none of your options are matched by the incoming Shopify data.

More info on Lookup Tables: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/create-lookup-tables-in-zaps

Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions or if anything is unclear. 

Hi @nicksimard ,

I think i follow- but i am already using both the shopify and quickbooks events with built in line support.  Are you saying I need to pull the line item support apart even at a lower level to achieve line item level manipulation?

I have attached a screenshot- you can see the line item section of the quickbooks new sales reciept task has comma seperated values, except for the Line item tax code- it makes me pick one from a list to apply to ALL line items. Thats what i am hoping for help with!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey Brent,

My thought was that you would use the custom value option instead of picking something from the dropdown list. 

And what you map there is the output of the Lookup Table (more info: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/create-lookup-tables-in-zaps). So you create pairs of values, where you “convert” the incoming value (the item that was purchased) and then you output the line item tax code. In the image above, those values would be the smaller ones in the non-bolded font. That’s what the QuickBooks API will be able to interpet.

Does that help at all, or have I further muddied the waters?

I had tried that just as a test to put in the codes from the QuickBooks tax listing. For example i had two taxes i wanted to use that were ID 15 and 5.  So i manually typed in “15,5” as a custom entry and re-ran the test just to see what would happen.  I get the following errors:

as you can see, it passed the data i was hoping for but unfortunately it caused the error:

I also tried to make sure that the tax codes properly matched the number of products, in case that was a cause, but no change in error:

this integration is unfortunately quite useless for me without this capability so i am still hoping to figure this out, thank you so much for all the help so far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Darock999

If you typed in the tax codes with a comma in between them then QuickBooks wont read that as a line item. Although line items look like they’re just text with commas in, they’re actually data arranged in a specific format. You can turn the information into line items using the Formatter app - here’s a help guide on how to do that

If you try that and you’re still having trouble, let us know!