Best answer

Push selected ClickUp custom field value into Azure SQL

• 26 October 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a question regarding a scenario I am try to automate via Zapier.

The scenario:

1. I have a task in ClickUp with multiple custom fields.
  2. The custom fields are drop-downs containing multiple options.
  3. A user chooses one of the options in the custom field drop-down.
  4. The task is the set to a specific status
  5. A zap is triggered by the status changing which creates a new row in an Azure SQL database

The scenario is working, with the exception that when the zap fires, it writes ALL of the options in the custom field to the database row, rather than the option my user has selected.

Is it possible to tell Zapier to send only the selected custom field value rather than all of them?

icon

Best answer by Layer8Error 31 October 2023, 14:51

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Layer8Error 

Good question.

We would need to see screenshots with how each Zap step is configured to have context.

Thanks for responding Troy.

I’ve done a bit more digging since my original post and found out that I was using an incorrect option when I was setting up the zap.  ClickUp seems to expose a bunch of different options related to custom fields:

and I was choosing the wrong one which was causing the original problem.  However, I now have a new problem.  The issue is that not every custom field exposes the same properties.  As you can see above, there is no “property” (for want of a better word) that gives me the value of the custom field.  However, if I examine another custom field, that property does exist:

I can confirm that both custom fields are set in the ClickUp task:

I’m having the same problem with the “Purchase Order Reference” custom field - the value property is not exposed for this field in the zap.

So, the question is, is ClickUp not exposing the value property for all custom fields correctly?  Or is Zapier not interpreting the output from ClickUp correctly.  I really have no idea where to start...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Layer8Error 

Since there are different types of fields, it’s likely those expose different types of properties.

The field type is indicated by the icon for each custom field. (e.g. Text, Dropdown, Currency, etc.)

Thanks Troy, I’d agree that could be an option if they were all different types of CF, but I have one dropdown that exposes the value property, and multiple others that don’t.    I have a support case open with ClickUp, hopefully they’ll be able to shed some light on this - I feel like this is a ClickUp issue rather than a Zapier issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Layer8Error! 👋

Hope you don’t mind me hopping in here to see if I can lend a hand with this. It looks like ClickUp sends the ID for the selected option in a separate field. For example with the Relevant Project I can see a Task Custom Field Relevant Project ID field:

85dfdfa03cda8fd0b2deca7c0aff99b0.png

If you take a look at the project in ClickUp does it have the same ID number as what’s displaying in that field in the Zap? 

If so, then it’s likely that there’s an equivalent ID field for the Consumable Category as well. In which case, you may need to set up a lookup table (using Formatter) with a list of Consumable Category IDs and the corresponding category name. Then in your action that adds a new row to the Azure database, you’d select the category name that’s output by the lookup table action. And repeat this process for the Relevant Project.

For the relevant project I was hoping that there was a “find project” type of action for ClickUp that you could use to locate the project name using it’s ID, but it seems there isn’t one. So you’d need to create a separate lookup table with a list of projects and their corresponding IDs.

That said, it may be worth setting up the lookup tables in a third party app like Google Sheets if you’ll have multiple Zaps needing to reference the lookup table. That way you can have the lookup tables in a single place so when new projects and categories are added you can add them to the lookup table once, rather than having to update every Formatter (Utilities > Lookup Table) action in multiple Zaps. You can learn more about that approach here:

Hope that helps. Please keep us updated on how you get on with this! 🙂

Hi Sam, 

Thanks very much for your help!  I hope I haven’t wasted your time here but I fixed the issue this morning before I saw your post.

The issue was that the task in ClickUp that I was using to test the integration didn’t have all of the custom fields populated.  It appears that Zapier only brings the value property through for those custom fields that have a value set at the time of the test.

I fixed it by assigning placeholder values to all of the custom fields in the task, re-running the test in Zapier and then all of the custom fields had the value properties exposed for writing into the SQL database.

I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my query though.  Thank you.

Cheers,

Phil

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s fantastic news @Layer8Error! And it’s totally no problem at all. I’m just happy that you were able to get the issue fixed, great work! 🙌 🎉

Really appreciate you taking the time to come back here and sharing details on how you solved it. This will definitely be helpful to other folks in the Community that are running into similar issues. Seems like you’re all set for now but please do reach back out again if we can assist with anything else - always happy to help! 🤗