Best answer

Problem updating an existing Salesforce record

• 3 June 2021
  • 1 reply

I have landing pages built in Leadpages for these purposes:

• Retrieving a lead magnet, and the form only asks for first name, last name and email. Zapier creates a Salesforce lead without a problem. I’m the owner of this record. 
  • Requesting a demo. The form asks for first, last, email, title, company and phone number. Zapier creates a Salesforce lead without a problem. Someone else owns this record when it’s created.
  • Requesting a demo AFTER you’ve downloaded a lead magnet - I want to update the record with the new information and change the owner. This is the one that doesn’t work. 

The problem I can’t seem to solve is updating an existing record with additional information, and changing the owner. Here’s what I’m doing (and that isn’t working); 

1. Trigger is the new form submission in Leadpages. This works fine.
  2. Find Record in Salesforce 
    • Action Event = Find Record
    • Account is mine
    • Set up action:
      • Salesforce Object is LEAD
      • Field to Search by is EMAIL (because that’s how we’re finding the record)
      • Search Value is Email: [selected the email address from the new form submission]
      • Should this step be a success… - I’ve tried this both ways and it doesn’t make a difference (I know it DOES matter, in general, but I’m just trying to update an existing record) 
      • Create Salesforce Record if it doesn't exist yet  - I’ve tried this enabled and disabled, and it doesn't make a difference (I know it DOES matter, in general, but I’m just trying to update an existing record)
  3. Update Record in Salesforce - In the previous step, it should have found the record.
    • Salesforce Object = Lead
    • Record to update = the lead with the email address that I found in step #2 
    • For updating the record itself, I match up first name, last name, record type, title, organization, phone, email and a few other things.

BUT, it’s just not updating the record -- the record still only has first name, last name and email from the original form. 

I’m sure this is something obvious, so thanks in advance for your patience and help. 

icon

Best answer by Elissa M. 3 June 2021, 00:45

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

OK, never mind. I think I fixed it in the Update Record step by searching on the Salesforce ID of the record found in the previous step, not on the email. Thanks for transferring any helpful goodwill to my next newb question.