Question

Post Reddit memes to my Twitter

• 8 October 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I’d like to pull the hottest (trending) memes images & videos from a subreddit 2 or 3 times per day.

I’d like to send them to my Twitter account (without cropping) and add hashtags.

Can anyone guide me with the setup?

I have Reddit and Twitter connected in Zapier already.

Thank you in advance.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Are you hoping to:

1. Copy every single post labeled as a hot post and batch post them to Twitter 2 or 3 times?
  2. Check for a single hot post 2 or 3 times per day? Or
  3. Continuously check multiple hot posts against one another and post the hottest 2 or 3 times per day?
Userlevel 1

Hey Tod.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Whatever is easiest.

Mark

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @marcomemer,

As far as I can tell, there isn’t any incredibly straightforward way to do any of these. But, here’s what I would do. The following method would post the most recent hot post from a given subreddit 2+ times per day. It uses a minimum of three Zaps, each with multiple steps, so it would require a paid Zapier account.

Zap 1 - Store Reddit Info to Storage by Zapier

1. Set up your Reddit trigger as “New Hot Post in Subreddit in Reddit”.
  2. Create a Filter by Zapier action to only continue if the Url contains .gif OR Url contains .jpg OR Url contains .png.
  3. Optionally add a Storage by Zapier step and set the event to “Remove All Values”. This will clear your existing storage so that you aren’t leaving any loose ends behind from previously stored data.
  4. Create a Storage by Zapier step and set the event to “Set Multiple Values”. For the first key/value pair, set “Reddit Image” as the key and the Url from the trigger as the value. Optionally, set additional key/value pairs for things like the title, the self text (ie. the OP’s caption), the author (to give credit), number of comments, upvotes, etc.

Note: This method overwrites existing values in each key/value pair. So if, for example, there are 10 new hot posts between your two Twitter posts, your subsequent Zaps will only be able to access the most recent one. There are more complex things we could do to repost all of them or decide which one we post, but it gets a bit more complicated.

Zap 2 - Post Most Recent Values to Twitter

1. Set up a Schedule by Zapier trigger as “Every Day in Schedule by Zapier” and choose a time (ie. 9am).
  2. Create a Storage by Zapier step and set the event to “Get Multiple Values”. Enter the keys you set up in the first Zap. The data returned by this step will be the most recent values set by the first Zap.
  3. Create a Twitter action and set the event to “Create Tweet”. The message can be any combination of data from the previous step, hashtags, or other text you’d like to enter. The “Image, Video or GIF” can be the “Reddit Image” from the storage step.
  4. Optionally add a Storage by Zapier step and set the event to “Remove All Values”. This will clear your existing storage data after each Twitter post so that things are fresh for the next hot post.

Zaps 3+

1. Duplicate Zap 2 and change the time of the trigger to another time in the day. Do this for as many times as you’d like the Zap to trigger each day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey @marcomemer 👋🏾 

Looks like @Todd Harper gave some stellar advice! Were you able to work through this? Anything else we can guide you through?

Userlevel 1

Hey @Todd Harper 

This all seems above my limited technical proficiency. 

Someone also suggested I use an RSS reader to help with pulling the Reddit hot posts.

Would this make the process more simple?

Marco

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @marcomemer,

The RSS reader is an option, but it will only replace the first step of Zap 1 that I posted above. While my suggestion does require a paid Zapier account, I promise that it is very easy and requires minimal technical ability. Possibly the scariest part is that you have to acquire a UUID, but even this is as simple as visiting a third party website.

I’ve recorded the following video walking you through my steps above, so you can follow along step by step :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @marcomemer - checking in to see if you were able to view @Todd Harper s walkthrough above or had any updates to share on your progress here. Looking forward to hearing from you :] 

Rachael

Userlevel 1

Hi @marcomemer,

The RSS reader is an option, but it will only replace the first step of Zap 1 that I posted above. While my suggestion does require a paid Zapier account, I promise that it is very easy and requires minimal technical ability. Possibly the scariest part is that you have to acquire a UUID, but even this is as simple as visiting a third party website.

I’ve recorded the following video walking you through my steps above, so you can follow along step by step :)

Thank you for this Todd, I will try this next week when back in the office. 

Much appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Todd Harper ! Rad video- thank you for sharing it🙌🏽

@marcomemer I think we’re all very invested in getting your Zap up and running here, haha! Hoping you enjoyed your time away from the office and that Todd’s suggestion does the trick!