Best answer

Possibilities for ConnectWise Manage/monday.com Integration

• 4 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey everyone.

I work for a small managed IT company that uses ConnectWise for service tickets and time tracking but has recently starting using monday.com for actual project management activities. Since these two products don’t have a direct integration yet, I’ve been tasked with trying to get them to share as much information as possible using Zapier.

So far, I’ve got one relatively simple function working, which is that when a new project ticket is created in CW, it appears in monday.com. Easy peasy. However, I’m having a hard time figuring out the trigger/action formula for some of the other things we want to do, or even if those things are possible with what these products surface to Zapier.

For example, in a perfect world, we’d love the two products to be able to share information back and forth. So for example, when someone updates a “conversation” item for a monday.com project, that will automatically be added as an internal note on the corresponding ConnectWise project ticket. And this would ideally go both ways. In an even perfecter (totally a real word) world, I’d even have project ticket statuses in CW that matched up with what we’re using for the Overall Status column in monday.com and they would stay in sync as well.

I’ve been trying to find out a way to accomplish this and am not having much luck. The main issue is that I can’t seem to find a way to have Zapier know what CW ticket is tied to what monday.com ticket. So for example, if I try to create a Zap to update a CW ticket based on an item update in monday.com, it seems to insist that I hard select an existing project. Example:

I figured if the entries on both ends shared the exact same name (which would happen with projects created in CW and then zapped over), this would be possible but I don’t seem to be able to set that up. Based on my experience so far, it seems the only way to make this work is to create a separate Zap for each project that’s created, which will tie it to the specific ticket in ConnectWise, rather than have it be able to tie them together. This is doable but does somewhat defeat the purpose of the kind of automation we’re hoping to attain here.

I hope I’ve been clear enough but if not, I’m happy to clarify further. Is what I’m looking to do here even possible or am I just missing something? I appreciate any advice offered. :) Thanks!

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 5 August 2021, 23:51

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @IDS Systems 

Perhaps consider hiring a Zapier Expert: https://experts.zapier.com/

Does Zapier support two-way syncing?

Last updated: November 04, 2019

No. Zapier does not support two-way syncing between apps right now. Think of Zaps like one-way workflows.

In certain scenarios, you can fake two-way syncing by setting up two different Zaps that perform opposite actions. For instance, you could have one Zap that creates a new spreadsheet row for every new contact created and another that creates a new contact for every new spreadsheet row.

Note: Be careful not to create a Zap Loop. Learn how to avoid Zap loops.

TIP: Add the IDs from each app to the other app, that way you can use the ID to dynamically map data points between the Zap steps, otherwise you’d have to use Find/Search steps in your Zap to find the internal IDs needed to make the Zaps dynamic.
Help article about mapping data points: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action
Userlevel 1

I’m not going to get permission to pay to have this done by someone else. I’m hoping I can just find an answer to the question about whether or not each Zap requires tying it to a specific ticket. If it does, then we won’t be bothering to use it. But I feel like this can’t be the case and I’m just missing something.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @IDS Systems!

As Troy pointed out, it’s a little precarious to try to create a sync between apps (especially one that’s updating both ways), as that’s really the prime use case for Zapier. You can end up inadvertently creating a Zap loop because updating App 1, will update App 2, which will trigger your other Zap to update App 1, which updates App 2, etc, etc.

Linking projects between the 2 apps is straightforward enough. You’d need to use custom values and create some sort of lookup table, but it can be done. Making sure that updates only happen when you want them to, as opposed to happening when one app updates the other (and triggers the Zap)...that part is trickier and more prone to problems. Unless everyone updating both apps is aware of (and follows) the necessary process, it can quickly become a Zap loop.

Userlevel 1

Hi Nick.

Doing two way sync is a nice to have more than a must have so if things only went from monday.com to CW, that’d good enough for our purposes. This is kind of a temporary solution until full integration between the two products comes (which we’ve been told is in development.)

Is the custom lookup table something that’s possible to do within the Zap creation itself or are we getting into third-party tool territory there?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @IDS Systems,

It’s totally possible to handle this within a Zap! Our Formatter app can be used to create custom Lookup Tables. We have a guide that talks about how to do that here: Create lookup tables in Zaps 

Alternatively, you could use a third party app like Google Sheets to create lookup tables for your Zaps: 

Hope this helps! :)

Userlevel 1

Thank you @SamB! :) I’ll investigate this today.