Best answer

Patreon Conversion Referral Source in Google Analytics

• 5 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi All,

Patreon does not include any “conversion” analytics in their Insights so that I may track which referral sources are leading to paid subscribers. I would love to send more traffic to my Patreon account by way of my social media platforms, but I have no idea where to spend my time, because I have no idea where my paid subscribers are coming from (social platform referral source).

I also have Google Analytics attached to my Patreon and I use UTM parameters for all links to Patreon to gather the referral sources, which is great for finding out how many clicks are going to Patreon daily, and from what referral source, but then what? I have no idea which sources are leading to a purchase.

My Google Analytics tag installed at Patreon only tracks pages viewed at Patreon, it does not track to the Cart or Thank You pages at Patreon, so I have no idea what social platform / referral sources are leading to paid subscriber conversions. 

Can I track New Member event referral sources with Zapier? I tried to create a simple Zap for Patreon (event = New Member) and then something will happen at Google Analytics. My Google Analytics and Patreon are successfully connected to Zapier, but I’m not sure what info to put into the Zap for Google Analytics to capture the referral source that led to a New Member event.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by SamB 10 January 2024, 16:57

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi and welcome to the Community @jfoodies! 👋

If Patreon doesn’t capture and send any referral source information to Zapier then it won’t be possible to send that information over to Google Analytics using a Zap. Is there anything present in the details Patreon sends to the New Member trigger that might indicate where the user came from? Just wondering it there’s any mention of the UTM parameter in one of the fields output by the Patreon New Member trigger that you could use to reference which source the new member came from.

Alternatively is there any way to customise the Cart and Thank You page in Patreon so that you can add the Google Analytics tracking code to it? 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Userlevel 1

Hi SamB,

Thank you so very much for the info. In digging further, I do see that when I select the New Member Pledge trigger, looking at the record data, there is a field called pledge_url with a value of “/checkout/MyProfileName”. I do send everyone to my Patreon by way of a UTM parameter, but I’m wondering if there were UTM parameters at the end of this pledge_url at time of checkout, if Patreon would have captured that data here in this field.

I’ve desperately been trying to figure out how to capture where my pledge members are coming from, so I can invest more resources into those referral spaces. 

Separate from Zapier, I did log out of Patreon, clicked on one of my referral links at LinkTree, the UTM parameter is no longer included in the browser url at the Patreon Checkout Page; however, I viewed the source of the Checkout Page, and the UTM parameter is in the code, but that doesn’t mean much.

They also don’t seem to include my G4 analytics at the Checkout Page, it stops there, unfortunately. The page is still unique to me because they do include my profile name in the browser URL and other profile info in the view source, so if they could just dynamically include my G4 info at that page too, that would solve everything. Alas, I think I’m just stuck since they do not include it at the Checkout Page or Thank You page. Such a massive bummer!

They don’t allow us to connect our Facebook Pixel to our Patreon account, but oddly, for my Facebook Ads that go directly to my Patreon profile, in my campaign manager, it does show that some sort of lead event happened by way of that ad, but I don’t know that this lead count is accurate or means anything. I did view the source of their Checkout Page, and they do have some sort of Facebook Pixel data in there, but it can’t be mine since I’ve never given them my Facebook Pixel info. But maybe it still tracks as a lead to my Facebook campaign manager somehow. 

Thank you again so very much for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for the update here @jfoodies! 🤗

That’s such a shame. It might be worth reaching out to Patreon’s support team directly to flag the need for their analytics tracking to be improved for use cases like this. 

I can’t think of any workarounds to be able to get the desired UTM parameter if they’re not tracking them, but if I do come across any potential ideas I’ll be sure to share details of them here!

Please do keep us updated on how you get on with Patreon’s support team, hopefully it’s something that can can be resolved quickly! 🤞

Userlevel 1

Thank you so very much for your reply. For now, I’m using UTM parameters, different for all sources I’m sending to Patreon, so at least in GA I can track probabilities (X amount sent from Stories, X amount sent from Facebook, etc.). Maybe I can guess that purchases mostly came from the top most tracked campaigns.

Also, I’m trying to get a Zap going for a Facebook pixel and Patreon new member purchase. I had trouble with that, but posted about it at another Zapier thread :)

Hopefully if I can get the Facebook pixel to track, and with the UTM data, I can have as close to an idea of what’s going on as possible.

I know Patreon is working on getting us better insights, some insights are in Beta but unfortunately I was not on the Beta list of users, so I don’t know exactly what data they’ll provide or when.

Thanks again for your reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You are most welcome @jfoodies. Fingers crossed those new insights track what you need and they get you on their Beta insights list soon! 

I’ll take a look into other thread now to see if I can help on that side of things 🙂

Userlevel 1

I appreciate your help so very much. Thank you and have a great day!