Best answer

Pardot Create Find or Create Prospect times out

  • 14 April 2020
  • 6 replies


We’re trying to create a zap that finds or creates prospects from entries with Facebook and LinkedIn lead ads. We set it up so it’s just looking at the email that is capture from the lead forms on the social networks and looks for that email in our Pardot database. We would then like to add that prospect to a list in Pardot so we can send them a follow up email. When setting up the zap, we get an error that Pardot has timed out when we’re trying to test it. Any idea what is broken here? 




Best answer by steph.n 15 May 2020, 03:14

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there!

It’s hard to say why that could be happening without some extra information. Would you be able to get a screenshot of your Zap up to the step where you’re trying to add the prospect to your list in Pardot? So if you can show me which steps are present before that step and then have the Pardot step open on the Customize screen that shows the fields, that would be super helpful! If there’s any personally identifiable information (e.g. email address) please obscure it before sharing. Thanks!

Is this what you’re looking for? Thank you for your help!


Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh sorry, I was referring to the screen that looks like this:


It’s a bit confusing because when you’re ON that screen, the dropdown above it shows the previous section so that you can easily click to it. Would you be able to show me what you’ve added on that screen? Thanks!



I think there may be a deeper issue as now there is an error in the previous pardot step as well: 


Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @nfdunk, I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. I think that our Support Team needs to take a closer look at the Zap so I’m going to escalate this to them. Someone will be in touch via email as soon as possible!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @nfdunk - Thanks for your patience! I noticed that you’ve received an answer from Laura of Zapier Support, and we would like to share it here so that others may find the solution also:

So my hunch here is that the Prospect Step is expecting the ID of the Prospect rather than an email address. You are on the right track with Step 2 which Finds or Creates a Prospect. It's the ID data we need form this step in the "Prospect" field here:

It would be great if you can go ahead and update the config in Step 3. You can remove the email address there currently and then select the ID from the data retrieved from step 2 as shown below.