Question

Outlook attachments to Airtable

• 20 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

How to I bring Outlook email attachments to Airtable? Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JamieY 

Good question.

What Airtable Zap action are you trying to use?

I believe Outlook email attachments come in a ZIP file on the Outlook trigger.

Gmail on the other hand has a specific trigger for New Attachment.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @JamieY 

Just to ensure I understand what you're trying to accomplish, could you elaborate more on the issue? Would you be able to outline it step-by-step?

If you can phrase it in the “When A happens in Service X, B should happen in Service Y” format, that’ll help me make sure I give you the best suggestion possible.

I want to ensure we're on the same page so I can point you in the right direction!

Looking forward to your response! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi @JamieY 

Just to ensure I understand what you're trying to accomplish, could you elaborate more on the issue? Would you be able to outline it step-by-step?

If you can phrase it in the “When A happens in Service X, B should happen in Service Y” format, that’ll help me make sure I give you the best suggestion possible.

I want to ensure we're on the same page so I can point you in the right direction!

Looking forward to your response! 😊

Here is what I am trying to accomplish: 

When Outlook receives an email, it adds an record to Airtable. If there is an attachment, it should add to one of the column. Does that make sense? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @JamieY,

Thanks for the clarification of your desired workflow. I dug into this, and Troy was right. The Outlook (New Email) integration returns the attachments as a ZIP file. That said, the trigger data should return the attachments as a File object that looks like this:

231a8abe3af518de11c9bce063392320.png
(view larger)

If the file object isn’t present from the trigger data, I suggest creating a sample email and ensuring that there’s an attachment to the email. After that, you will have to load a new sample data in the “Test” section of the trigger step by selecting “Load more.”

Additionally, you mentioned that you want the Zap only to trigger if there’s an attachment to the email. Is this correct? If so, the Zap workflow setup should look like this:

• Trigger: Outlook (New Email)
  • Action: Filter by Zapier
    7172888469e38c91e623fb8cb53afc32.png
    (view larger)
  • Action: Airtable (Create Record)

Please give this a try and let us know how it goes!

Thanks!😊

Userlevel 1

This error message came up. What does it mean? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @JamieY,

Before we dig deeper into this, could you please send a screenshot of the whole “Action” section of the “Create Record” action step?

Thanks! 😊