Best answer

One Drive - File Move / Rename

• 28 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I would like to write a looping function that would email new files landing in a One Drive folder to specific email addresses.  The new file arriving and email functionality is working OK, but on completion I would like to either move the files to an Archive sub-folder or rename them to DONE<filename> or similar.

Is this possible using the Zapier OneDrive interface?  Or if not, is there another way of achieving this?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by SamB 28 June 2023, 12:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @Powelly! 🎉

There aren’t any actions that would allow you to rename or move files into a different folder. We have an existing feature request open for this though so I’ve added your vote to that.

We can’t make any promises around when this would be implemented by but we’ll send you an email notification as soon as it is.

In the meantime, the OneDrive API appears to have an endpoint that would allow you to make an update to an existing file: Update DriveItem properties. So I’m thinking that you could potentially use OneDrive app’s API Request (Beta) action to update the file. It’s a bit more of an advanced action to set up than the other OneDrive actions but if it’s something you’d be willing to explore you can find out more about how to set it up here: Set up an API request action.

I’ve not tested it out myself so if you do manage to get it working with that API Request (Beta) action please let us know. I’d love to know whether that solves things for you in the meantime! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB 

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction.  I’ve looked at the API Request (Beta) route today and managed to get it up and running OK.

Here is a screenshot of my test if the details are useful to anyone.  The steps in 3 use inputs from 1 & 2 (numbered).

I have separately managed to set this up as a sub-zap and got it working OK in a larger process.  One question I have - the sub-zap has a similar setup to Step 3 above, but uses values passed in from the parent zap.  The One-Drive account still has to be manually selected though.  Is it possible to pass dynamic One-Drive account information from the parent zap rather than having to explicitly choose the account in the sub-zap?  i.e. Could I make the sub-zap agnostic of which One-Drive account was being used?

Thanks