Best answer

Notion error: Failed to create a database item in Notion, can’t create pages inside a synced database.

• 25 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi there, i'm trying to see if you can automatically create a github pr that is triggered by a new database entry in notion. I'm using zapier at the moment

however i am getting a 'Failed to create a create pull request in GitHub
The app returned "Validation Failed". This is due to the 'head' branch I believe. We would like a new branch to be created when the pull request is created since we would not have an existing head branch already in place - is there any way to do this? 

I also tried the zapier's 'create new item in notion database' -> add new item in database (the synced github pr database i have) but i came up with an error that you cannot add entries to synced databsaes 🥲

does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this happen? thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by christina.d 1 September 2022, 02:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @mwong1!

We’ve discussed the Github part of this question in your other post:

So that we can help with the Notion side of things, could you share a bit more information? So, you have a Notion database that’s synced up with GitHub and got an error ‘you cannot add entries to synced databases’. Could you share a screenshot of that error message and also one of how the Notion step is set up? Don’t forget to remove any private information from the images. Thanks!

hi @Danvers , than you very much for the github branch and pr information. absolutely and i’ve attached the screenshots below and i wonder or hope it’s not a notion limitation. and all the fields are filled in by teh way:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for this!

I did some digging and it looks like synced databases is a beta feature in Notion that launched a few months back!

While it sounds awesome, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Zapier app doesn’t support them yet - which sounds like may be the case. 😔 I wasn’t able to find any related feature requests to this but it might be worth opening a ticket with my friends in support. It doesn’t guarantee we’ll be able to offer support around it anytime soon but it definitely lets us track interest moving forward. 🙂 It’s also possible I’m way of track on this and there’s a workaround around I’m not aware of!

Either way, my teammates in support can dig into this a bit more. 🤗

I hope some of this helps!