Best answer

New Trello Card from email with Particular subject

Userlevel 1

Hopefully and easy one. I would like to forward emails and use a particular subject so that it creates a card. I.E for Enquiries. I’ve set up a zap for all outlook email to create a card but can’t seem to refine the subject?

I hope that makes sense?

icon

Best answer by ken.a 27 July 2023, 13:58

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Harvoir,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Are you trying to create a Zap that triggers when an email arrives in your Outlook inbox with a specific subject line, and then creates a card in Trello. If so, you would need to add a filter step to your Zap. Here's how you could do it:

1. Set up your trigger as you have done, to trigger on any new email in Outlook.
  2. Add a new step in your Zap and choose the "Filter by Zapier" app.
  3. In the Filter setup, choose the "Subject" field of your email, and set the condition to match the specific subject you want.
  4. If the filter conditions are met (i.e., the email subject matches your specified subject), the Zap will continue to the next step. If not, the Zap will stop and not perform any further actions.
  5. Set up your action step to create a card in Trello.

This way, your Zap will only act on emails with the specific subject you want.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Userlevel 1

This is excellent, i set that up but am getting an error creating the card. 

I chose email body from the list in name?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Harvoir,

Could you please send a screenshot of the data you mapped in the Trello step?

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I suppose i want to see content of the email i’m forwarding in the Card.

Thanks so much

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Harvoir,

Thanks for the screenshot!

It seems like the mapped "Body" data from Microsoft Outlook is in HTML format, which isn't compatible with the "Name" field in the Trello step.

I suggest mapping the “Name” field with the “Subject” data from Microsoft Outlook step and mapping the “Body” data to the “Description” field. Like so:

fe6765ac1ba403ae7cfae4f14f4e6a3c.png
(view larger)

Could you please give that a try, and let me know how it goes! 😊

Userlevel 1

mmm…I’m now seeing this

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Harvoir,

Thanks for the update.

Hmm, I'm thinking 🤔 that HTML format might not be supported in this case. How about we try a different approach? Instead of using the "Body Content" data, could we try mapping the "Description" field with the "Body Preview" data from Microsoft Outlook? The "Body Preview" doesn't contain any HTML formatting. Here's what the “Body Preview” data should look like:

085d4cb85816b40716d3e735649ad7b5.png
(view larger)

Please let me know if that works! 😊

Userlevel 1

Still displaying an error i’m afraid

Userlevel 1

i’m not sure why i see the greyed text after “Body preview” is that just an example?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Harvoir,

Could you please try testing the Trello action step again by clicking on the “Retest action” button.

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1

something is working but i have a meeting now, can i get back to you in a couple of hours please? We are almost there

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

i’m not sure why i see the greyed text after “Body preview” is that just an example?

Hi @Harvoir , correct! When you're mapping fields for a Zap, the gray text next to the data (or any other field) is usually a sample data or placeholder data. This sample data is pulled from the app you're connecting to give you an idea of what kind of data will be passed through the Zap when it runs.

For example, if you're setting up a Zap between a form app and an email app, and you're mapping an "Email" field, the gray text might be a sample email address like "example@example.com". This indicates that when the Zap runs, the data in this field will be an email address from the form responses.

This sample data can help you understand what kind of information will be available to use in subsequent steps of your Zap, and how you might want to structure your actions or filters.

You can learn more about that here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496343026701-Send-data-between-steps-by-mapping-fields

something is working but i have a meeting now, can i get back to you in a couple of hours please? We are almost there

Awesome! Sure I’ll be right here waiting for your response! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi,

ok, so it’s working. Thanks. Can the original email be added as an attachment as currently i can’t see what is in the email on the trello card?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Harvoir,

Awesome! I’m glad it works now.

Regarding your question about:

Can the original email be added as an attachment as currently i can’t see what is in the email on the trello card?

Could you please elaborate a little bit on this one? Do you want the whole email instead of the preview? If so, since the “Description” field of Trello is not compatible with HTML format. I think we can add a Text in Formatter by Zapier - Remove HTML function after the trigger step. Here’s an example what it will look like:

f272ed74e108ec9fe61e4863aaa333bc.png
(view larger)

3d731f4ffa74d8d5466454f760af2c62.png
(view larger)

Additionally, we have an open feature request for Microsoft Outlook to provide the body content in both plain and HTML, rather than just HTML. I have added your email address to that feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps! 😊