Question

New Stripe Payment triggers Update of Status in Monday.com

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, I am looking to create a zap that is triggered by a New Payment in Stripe. From Stripe, it will take the new incoming payment and match the "Invoice Data Lines Data Description" with an item on the Invoicing Board on Monday.com. Once the two have been matched successfully (either by contains, starts with, etc. from Zapier filter), it will then change the Status of that matched item from "Sent Deposit Inv" to "Paid".  I've included a snapshot of what I've done so far. I am currently struggling with checking all items against the selected output from Stripe. Should I be using Status from Monday to help narrow the search or utilize the Text column from Monday to check against Stripe output collected (this is where filter comes in and uses either contains, starts with, etc.) I’ve attached what I've done so far which has worked but only when all test triggers are met. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @FACT 

Good question.

If you are trying to use 1+ Line Items, then you can use the Looping app: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/integrations

Perhaps you can add more context by outlining a specific example and include more screenshots.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have included attachments for reference of each step as I walkthrough this specific example. 

A new payment is received from stripe which triggers step/action 1. The 1 Line item Data Description is extracted as a text output using Zapier’s formatter. The Invoicing board is utilized from Monday and the action Get item column value is employed to search all items in “Text” column. Column to receive is also set as “Text”. I’ve included the step snapshot from zapier as well as a snapshot form Monday showcasing what the set column looks like. Step/action 4 would then just extract *each* item name as text output. Step/action 5 would then compare Monday extracted output with stripe extracted output and would not proceed until filter is met/satisfied. And step/action 6 would then change the deposit status of the matched item name from its previous status of “Sent Deposit Inv” to “Paid”. Hope this helps clarify any unanswered questions. 

How would I incorporate looping into the steps I already have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT 

I think this is your issue.

Perhaps try using a Formatter step to remove the trailing “ - Deposit” before searching Monday Board Items.

Seems like you might be trying to search by this value:

But there is not matching value in the Monday Board Items.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, 

I was able to successfully split the string and it was able to find the column value under “Text”. My next question is how to deal with an actual new payment that comes in and the Stripe text must be checked against all column values under “Text” in order to be matched.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT 

We’d need to see screenshots with how this Zap step is configured.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here is the configuration and its test

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT 

You need to map the desired search dynamic variable here:

Userlevel 1
Badge

What would be the desired search dynamic since I am looking to have it check all names on the board. When I initially provide it with the text formatted from Stripe I receive an error. Please see attached.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT 

Did you manually test again after mapping the field value into the Text field?

FYI: Per the field description this field is optional, and if you remove the selection (click the [X]), then it will return all columns for the found item.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes I did. I removed the Columns to receive option and received this error message 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT 

Try putting double quotes “ around the mapped variable in the Text field.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Received the same error message 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT 

I replicated a similar setup in my Monday account and was successful searching for an item based on a text field.

I did not encounter the errors you did.

Check to make sure the values input in Monday don’t have leading/trailing or extra spaces.

Check to make sure the mapped variable in the Zaps doesn’t have leading/trailing or extra spaces.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I created a new zap using the same first three steps and I am still receiving the same error. Not sure what I am doing wrong 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT 

We’d need to see screenshots with how your Formatter step is configured.

We’d need to see updated screenshots with your Monday Board Items.

Make sure you are connected to the correct Monday Board in the Zap step.

Make sure you have selected the correct Monday Board column in the Zap step.

You can remove the “

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Consider hiring a Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have included all the requested screenshots below. From the images attached, it can be seen that the Monday Invoicing board it correctly connected as well as the Column to search in which is named “Text”. All can be seen in images attached. A Zapier support ticket has been opened and in progress for months now, but due to dealing with a new agent after each response has only slowed/not aided in progress being made. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT

Try this: [:space:]-

That will make sure there is no trailing space after the returned first segment.

Go ahead and remove the enclosing double quotes.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, I believe that was the issue! Thank you very much for sticking through! I’d just like to confirm that during step three that it will search all columns on the board to find a match to the provided Stripe output. And is the step 5 Filter even needed if it does in fact check for the specific text?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT

The Monday Search step will search all Items in that Monday for the search value in the 1 specified column.

I’m not sure how these Zap steps are configured so we’d need to see more detailed screenshots.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, I’ve attached below, thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT

You can remove Step 4 (Formatter).

You can update the logic in Step 5 (Filter) to check for an Item ID returned from Step 3. (e.g. Item ID exists)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Great, Thank you very much & have a nice weekend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@FACT so glad to see you were able to work through this one! @Troy Tessalone thank you for your helpful suggestions and instructions. 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello I wanted to know if it was possible to search for Item Name match in Step 3 of Monday Search based on Status. Meaning based on the Status given “Sent Deposit Inv” all items on the board with this status would be searched and checked to see if the Item name matches the Name pulled from Stripe New Payment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FACT 

To search for multiple conditions, you’d need to use the Monday API: https://developer.monday.com/api-reference/docs