Question

New Row in Table in Microsoft Excel - What / When does it triggers it?

• 18 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I have linked an excel spreadsheet and made a table on it, and linked it through zapier using the

“. New Row in Table in Microsoft Excel” zap.

This states it trigges when “a new row” is added to the spreadsheet, but I’m having difficulty getting that to trigger, or finding out “what” triggers it exactly.

It has picked up on all existing rows the first time, but I have entered more data in the next empty row, and it hasn’t triggered it.

Does it only trigger periodically?

Does it wait for a certain amount of time once data is entered in a row, to allow people to “finish” entering the row?

Does it only trigger when all columns are complete?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @JayK,

You mentioned that you’re using the “New Row in Table” trigger. The “New Row in Table” trigger will only trigger on rows added to a table in a spreadsheet. Have you tried changing the trigger to the “New Row” trigger instead?

Additionally, since the Microsoft Excel integration uses polling triggers Zapier usually checks for new rows at regular intervals, depending on your Zapier plan. For free and starter plans, it checks every 15 minutes, while for professional and higher plans, it checks every 1-2 minutes.

Please keep us posted! 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve tried changing to the “new row” trigger, but still not much luck getting it to trigger.

Again, I’m trying to clarify what counts as a “new row”, what is it looking for?

Typing data in cell first column?

Inserting a new row?

Does it matter if we have automatically calculated formulas in some columns?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Okay, I’ve now created a dedicated column that says “ready for trigger in my excel”.

I have changed the Zap to look for Updated Row in Excel, and to only look for that column.

So in theory, when I change that cell from blank to “Yes” in the ready for trigger column, it should pick up?

I’m on Teams plan, so should be every 1-2 minute, and I'm constantly clicking “load more rows” when testing, and it only shows the bulk import at the start from 30 minutes ago.

I’ve turned on the zap to see if it just doesn’t work with editing the zap, and it’s been over 15 minutes and it still hasn’t picked up on the updated field / trigger?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

Please can anyone advise or assist. 

I am seriously questioning if the “Look for Updated Row In Excel” zap actually works.

I have a very simple example, it looks for one column, and I am changing values in it - and I can’t get any reliability or concistency.

Sometimes I update the field, and it triggers and everything works great.

Sometimes I update the field, and it doesn’t trigger at all.

I thought the Teams plan was meant to come with “Premium Support” ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @JayK - I hear your frustrations with your Zap and catching new data in an Excel sheet. From what you are describing it does sound like you should be getting your updated column when you add new values. 

Just to make sure I’m dotting my i’s here, I wanted to share a helpful doc on the way that Zapier handles Excel sheets: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496044256909-How-to-Setup-Your-Microsoft-Excel-sheet-to-Work-With-Zapier

In addition, if you’d prefer to open a ticket with our pals over in Support, you can contact them here: https://zapier.com/l/support#connect - in our Community we do our best to help as many folks as we can, but we don’t quite have all the muscle that Support does when you make a ticket with them. (We like to think of ourselves as “small but mighty!”). We appreciate your understanding on the matter and hope you find a good resolution for your Zap. 

Best- Rachael