Best answer

New row in excel triggers create new item in Monday + if any excel cell changes trigger update the existing cell in Monday.

• 5 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

The title states exactly what I am trying to do. I came across a few threads from over 1 year ago that say that this is not possible. Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 6 October 2022, 20:30

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Mwarren! Thanks for reaching out in the community! We definitely want to help.

Are you able to link to some of the threads you’re referring to? My initial thought is if no updates has been posted in those topics this may not be achievable but we’re always super happy to double check and/or add you to any related feature requests!

Thanks for your help and we’ll keep an eye out. 🤗

Userlevel 1

Hi @christina.d,

Here is the thread that I came across. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Mwarren , 

I do have a couple of ideas for that :) 

First, I believe the post you are referring to is an old one, since there are Get actions for Monday.com now.

Secondly, what I would do is the following: 

1. Add 2 new column in Excel, one is Monday.com ID and the other is Update Monday.com (can be a checkbox)
  2. Create a zap with the Trigger Excel > Updated Row
  3. Add a Paths by Zapier action  
    1. Path 1 > Monday.com ID Does Not Exists
      • Action > Create Item in Monday.com
      • Action > Update Row in Excel > Add the Monday.com Item ID and Uncheck the box for Update Monday.com
    2. Path 2 > Monday.com ID Exist AND Update Monday.com is True (CAUTION: This is VERY important as to avoid a loop that can consume all your tasks!)
    • Action > Update Item in Monday.com (use the Item ID you already have in excel now, no need to search for the item anymore ;) ) 
    • Action > Update Row in Excel > Uncheck the box for Update Monday.com

To be clear, this will only work if you click on the checkbox “Update Monday.com” in Excel , so it would trigger in case of any update in Excel but it would stop because you dont have the Monday.com checkbox as true and so this won't count against your monthly task usage in Zapier since both paths won't continue. 

Let me know if this helps, I would be happy to assist you further if you have any questions 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for sharing that link, @Mwarren@MohSwellam is definitely right looks like that was a thread we’d missed when the feature request was closed. I went ahead and posted an update.

They also shared an awesome zap flow! Did that help get you back on track?! Keep us posted! 🤗

Userlevel 1

Hi @MohSwellam 

Thanks for the response. The screenshots attached are non-sensitive. I am running into trouble at:

• Action > Update Row in Excel > Add the Monday.com Item ID and Uncheck the box for Update Monday.com

I am not sure what to add as the Row (required). I am assuming it has to be a custom path.

I am also unsure what will trigger excel to uncheck the check boxes in my spreadsheet. Perhaps I setup the checkboxes in excel incorrectly. 

Here are the two columns I added to my excel sheet. I imported my “items” into Monday first, which assigned the Monday Item ID’s to each item, then exported it to excel and copies over the Item IDs to my excel sheet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Mwarren 

“Action > Update Row in Excel > Add the Monday.com Item ID and Uncheck the box for Update Monday.com

I am not sure what to add as the Row (required). I am assuming it has to be a custom path.”

In here you would just need to choose the Row ID from the Trigger step. So yes, you have to click Custom, then click the first step (Updated Row in Excel) and look for ID. (you can type it in the search bar on the top)

“I am also unsure what will trigger excel to uncheck the check boxes in my spreadsheet. Perhaps I setup the checkboxes in excel incorrectly.” 

You would choose the Update Monday column, and type in it false so it unchecks the checkbox :) 

Let me know if this works. 

Userlevel 1

Success! Thank you @MohSwellam 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ayyyy, we love to hear it! So stoked @MohSwellam suggestions worked out for ya.

Thanks for letting us know and happy zapping! ⚡️