Best answer

New google sheet row misplaced when sheet is filtered

• 15 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey,

I have a google sheet with thousand of rows in it, populated by Zapier.

I want the new row always to enter in the last free row (if 2100 rows exist, next row will be 2101)

I’m facing kind of a problem, although i think its by design - and i’m looking for a quick solution:

When i’m filtering the data in the sheet, lets say now the sheet shows only 4 rows (row no. 101, 220, 340, 500), and the zap is triggered, the new row will enter in row number 501, pushing all the rows 1 forward - although i need it to enter in 2101 as its the next free row in the sheet.

I didn’t find a solution for it though a dedicated zap action or setting. Am i missing something? Maybe theres even a setting in google sheet side that i’m not aware of? 

I solved it for now by managing a forumla in another sheet that calculates the next free row, and edited all my zaps to edit an existing row (which is empty) in that row number instead of adding a new one.

I’m looking for a more simple solution, as this one has some risks in it - if the formula gets it wrong for some reason, my new rows can be overrun.

Any help or ideas will be much appreciated :) 

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 16 April 2020, 22:00

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there!

As you mentioned, I believe this is by design, given how Google Sheets works. When you have your rows filtered and the Zap sends a new row to your sheet, it will add it after the last row that’s shown (with your filter active) as opposed to the absolute bottom of the worksheet. I tested it out to make sure, and just as you described it, my row was added after the last visible row.

BUT, if you use a Filter View instead, it appears to add it at after the last row that contains data. So…

Can you test it with a Filter View instead of just using Create a filter?

Userlevel 1

Dude, You’re a genius! That solves my problem perfectly, and makes my zaps simpler.

Thank you so much for taking the time,

Much appreciated, Ron.