Best answer

My Zap is pulling is not dynamically sending new URLs when a new order comes in

• 29 April 2022
  • 7 replies

I have a Zap that pulls data from a WordPress order compares the  product ID and then shoots out and email with a temporary URL.  The issue I am having is it does not send a new URL when the next order comes in it is always sending out what is in row 2 column C every time instead of going on to the next one in Column D. 

icon

Best answer by Danvers 11 May 2022, 18:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hello @Irish_Mugger 

Can you please share more details like what this is temporary URL and what exactly you are trying to achieve?This help us have a better context instead of Row 2 and Column C like that.Also share the screenshots of how you configured the zaps

Okay when an order comes in it reads the product product id from row 2 column B. That is where the zap does it’s look up.  Id scan down Coumn B for the correct product ID then it send the data from column C which is a URL to the event they bought.  The problem is it does not send move on to the next column after it send that URL when the next order comes in.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @Irish_Mugger! Would you be able to post detailed screenshots of how your zap is configured, with any personal information obscured? This would allow us more info to see what exactly is going on with your zap and be able to troubleshoot better! ☺️

It’s a relatively easy zap.  It looks up a product variant id number compares it to a spreadsheet and then sends out a ntemp url but it is not switching urls.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I see, I was hoping to be able to see how your zap was set up, it seems like perhaps something is not mapped dynamically and that could be why it is sending the same URL instead of the newly generated one? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Irish_Mugger!

This one is a bit tricky, I can think of a way to let the Zap know which url should be next, but that wouldn’t allow you to actually the value into the next Zap step. 

One way that you could do this would be by splitting your Google Sheet into different tables: one with the order number and tables for each of the different product numbers. The first table tells the Zap which Product ID to look for, and which url it should use ie:

Product ID URL #
123456 4
789102 2
345678 3

Then for each product ID you would need a second table that looked like this:

URL # URL
1 http://fakeurl1.com/
2 http://fakeurl2.com
3 http://fakeurl1.com

Each time the Zap runs, it uses the first table to select the correct url from the second table. Then at the end of the Zap you add a step that updates the first table to increase the url number by 1. 

If you have a lot of product IDs, this will get very messy using Google Sheets. If you’re open to using another app Airtable would be a good bet here. You can link records, which would make it easier to both set up the table and locate the correct url. 

If you can’t change the way that the data is stored at all (can’t change the Google sheet) I’m not sure how you would do this, but you may be able to hire a Zapier Expert to help you with it. 

This sounds promising. I will get this set up and testing on it today.  There is only 10 product IDs so I think staying on sheet will be okay.  I am not opposed to Airtable though.