Question

Multiple Search Values Before Creating a New Contact - Salesforce

• 9 July 2020
  • 1 reply

Is there a way to have multiple search values in zaps before new contacts are added to Salesforce?

For example, we have zaps from Shopify, Eventbrite and Gravity Forms. John Doe could use his work email for one, personal email for another, and his email from high school for one but they are all related to the same person. 

Is there a way to have the zaps flag it and not import so it can be reviewed manually to ensure that John Doe isn’t created as a duplicate in our Salesforce instance?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @SaveTheWaves!

Hmm, I don’t know if this is possible. The nature of Salesforce is that is uses email address as a unique identifier, meaning that if someone has a different email address, they are treated as a different person. 

I can think of one possible workaround, though I’m not sure if it does exactly what you need. It will also be very tricky to do without using Paths - I’m not sure what plan you’re on/if that’s an option for you. 

• Add a Google sheets Create Spreadsheet Row step in your other Zaps (eg the Shopify, Eventbrite, etc ones). In that step, send the name and email address of the person that bought something/filled the form.etc to a Google Sheet. 
  • In you Zaps, before there’s a step that sends information to Salesforce, use a Google Sheets Lookup Spreadsheet Row step. If the step finds an existing name, send it down Path A, if it doesn’t send it down path B
  • Path A: Alert you that there’s a possible duplicate (eg, by sending you an email/adding it to a new spreadsheet that you periodically check)
  • Path B: Create New record in Salesforce

If you don’t have a Professional account or higher you can create a similar effect to paths using filters, here’s a guide to that: Add branching logic to Zaps using filters