Question

Monday.com item creation through Gmail

• 27 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I have created a Zap to create an item in one of my boards in Monday.com everytime I receive a certain type of email. I was able to do this successfully, however I'd like the content of the email to be split up and populate in different columns of my board.

For example: The Zap is triggered when an email comes through saying “New Alert for Customer X”

The body of the email contains the following:

1. details of the alert
  2. Customer Name
  3. Customer Phone number
  4. Customer Email
  5. Customer Address

Is there any way to separate that into the respective columns in my Monday.com board? Ideally the item name would be the customer name, the details would be in notes, and so on. As of now I can only seem to but the entire body of the email in the notes section, which gets tricky to read, especially in the app version.

I’m also wondering if there’s a possible work around by first having it populate and separate in Google Sheets? And from there go to Monday.com?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @FlamingoPools 

You’ll need to parse the contents of your email.

Try one of these email parsing apps…

Parser by Zapier: https://parser.zapier.com/

Mailparser: https://zapier.com/apps/mailparser/integrations

Thanks. After connecting that account, what steps would I need to take to link it all together?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@FlamingoPools

Connecting what account?

Depends on what email app you are using.

What email app are you using? (e.g. Gmail)

If Gmail, you’ll have to setup a rule to forward emails to the email parser inbox.

Article to reference: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en

The email parser app will have to be configured with it’s own rules to parse out the desired data points based on sample emails used as templates.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @FlamingoPools,

As an alternative to using Parser, you could use Split Text (Formatter), but only if the body of the email is consistent (as described in the original question).

1. New email (use label to filter)
  2. Split Text
    1. Input: Body Plain
    2. Separator: [:return:]
    3. Segment index: All (as Separate Fields)
  3. Create a Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheet
    1. Use the items generated by the Split Text step

If the email that you receive is a regular email from a coworker that includes a salutation, signature, etc, this is not going to work.

Just to clarify how the body of the message should look like for this to work, here’s an example:

New lead from website

John Smith

(909) 990 8767

john@gmail.com

1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@FlamingoPools - circling back here to see how you got on! Were you able to get this Zap sorted using either of the suggestions above? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @FlamingoPools!

Since this was a little while ago, I wanted to check in to see if you’d managed to solve this or whether you still needed help here. Please let us know!