Best answer

monday.com creating subitems & setting default column values

• 7 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

I have a zap where I create an Item in Monday.com.

When I create the item I can populate the corresponding fields for that Item (which I Do).

Then the Zap goes on to create 9 sub-items.  So far works like a charm.

What I can’t do is populate any of the fields for the sub-items.  Each subitem may have a diferent due date, be assigned to a different person, have a different category, etc.  I know what they should be when the item is created, I just can’t figure out how to do it.

My example is for Employee separations, there are 9 sub-tasks for various depts to handle

icon

Best answer by Danvers 18 April 2023, 15:44

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Mary_S 

Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry you’re having trouble with your Zap.

We need more context about what’s happening to the Zap. Can you please provide screenshots of your Zap setup? (Kindly blur any personal detail/information)

Userlevel 2

So this is creating the sub-items.  What I can’t seem to do it automatically assign the items or pre-fill any of the other fields for each of the sub-items, like due dates or a category.  I want the 1st 2 items assigned to the Employee A.  the next 2 to employee B, etc.  they all have different due dates based on the termination date.  I can’t figure out how to do it either as a Monday automation or as a Zap.  Setting any additional information for sub-items does not seem to be available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Mary_S!

It’s not currently possible to add information to the columns of sub-items when you use the Create sub-item Zap, I’m sorry about that. 

We do have a feature request open for this and I’ve added you as an interested user. This lets the Monday.com team know how many folks would like to see this addition and also means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2

Great, I would love that.

I’ve also thought about creating my list as Items and then using a Monday.com automation to move them to sub-items, but a) that’s a lot of work and b) my sub-items have different fields than the parent items have.

Hopefully this will happen soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks, @Mary_S! While we don’t have ETA’s on when or if this will be implemented it’s the best way to stay informed if anything changes. 🙂

We appreciate you flagging this in community!