Best answer

Modify a zap during delay

• 11 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I have created an zap with an delay of 20 days. Now i want to change the steps after the delay.

If i add some new steps, wil the task that already been delay follow my new steps?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 11 May 2020, 17:29

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@rikmaris 

I’ve had mixed results with this - sometimes zaps have played through after and edit, sometimes they’ve stayed trapped in delay forever. I sense it has to do with what was changed in your zap.

Either way, I'm going to flag this post for the Zapier Community Team. They should have more insight on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @rikmaris!

If you edit a Zap while some tasks are waiting in a Delay step, then it could cause them to error. There are a few factors that affect this:

1. If you edit the Zap so that you add or remove steps, or change the app used in a step, then the tasks will hit an error when the Zap is turned back on. 
  2. If you’re using a ‘Delay for’ or ‘Delay after Queue step’, and only make minor changes to the Zap (eg changing which fields are mapped in subsequent steps) then when the Zap is turned back on, the tasks will show as stopped/errored, but you can replay them. If you do that, the Delay period will start from the beginning ie even if the task was halfway through a 10 day delay, if you turn the Zap off and on again and replay the task, it will start at the beginning. 
  3. If you’re using Delay until and turn off your Zap, then if you don’t make major changes and turn your Zap back on BEFORE the Delay until date/time has passed, then the tasks will continue as normal. If you turn the Zap back on AFTER the delay until time has passed, then the tasks will fail. 

In general, I always advise making a copy of a delay Zap and editing the copy, rather than the original.