Question

Method for Capturing Data from an Updated HubSpot Engagement

• 30 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi there,

I am needing to capture data from updated engagements in HubSpot.
We are wanting to measure turnaround time of specific tasks in HubSpot. Here is my current setup:

Part 1: Capture the time of creation of a task (using filter to only print those tasks “Not Started” to the Sheet)

Part 2: Capture the time of completion for tasks (using filter to capture completion of a specific task by task status, “Completed”)

You’ll notice that my trigger for Part 2 is “New Engagement in HubSpot” which doesn’t seem like it’d work. But when I first setup and tested it, the trigger seemed to pick up updates to tasks as well as new tasks.
I tested by creating a new task in the “Not Started” column in HubSpot and then completed the task shortly thereafter. My setup in Part 1 and Part 2 ran successfully in each instance. After reviewing our sheets data, it I am guessing Part 2 only worked in my test because the time between creation and completion of the task was minimal and HubSpot spot saw the “Completion” update as a “New Engagement”.

So, I am looking for a way to account for changes to engagements within Zapier. Any thoughts?

I appreciate your help in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @JakeatGrantMe 

if I understand you wanna catch the creation date and the completion date or your wanna catch the creation date and any other change regarding the status of the engagement? thanks for providing a screenshot of the desired outputted spreadsheet row you wanna get it would really help me understand 

In any case, since there is no “what data to retrieve from this zap” in the new engagement zap you can use it to get multiple information the workaround would be to set multiple branches in your second step each one triggered by a specific engagement status 

if you could provide me with your desired outputted spreadsheet row I think I could help you solve this issue

thanks a lot

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @ameurj,
I’m looking to simply update a particular row with the completion date/time of a particular engagement!

Below you see the what I’m looking to capture in the sheet! Does this make sense?

I appreciate the help!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @JakeatGrantMe.. well it worked for me he i followed your exact same steps here is first of all my sample row : 

Here is the set up : 

Step 1: 

The test2 task was found (and yes when the status changes it s a new engagement

Step 2 : 

Step 3 : 

So I look for the column ID and the lookup value ID from the first step

Step 4 :

I look up for the Row retrieved from the third step using the ID and update its date of completion with the metada data completion date 

Result :

Now, by checking the engagement API I noticed that Hubspot sends the completion date in UNIX TIMESTAMP for example in my case the completion date is 1606862975980 by converting it online (I used https://www.epochconverter.com/) I get Tuesday 1 December 2020 22:49:35.980 which is exactly when I completed the task

Since the unixi timestamp provided by Hubspot is in millisecond you want to use this formula to convert it to your normal date format =B2/1000/60/60/24 + DATE(1970,1,1)

so if you update your last step, you wanna input this in your Data Completion cell :

and here is the result 

and by changing the cells format I get this : 

And you can use the date formating process to catch any date format, “the last update” data for example

Let me know if this solved your problem

Userlevel 3
Badge

@ameurj You mentioned that: “and yes when the status changes it s a new engagement”

I don’t think this is the case.
Again, I am guessing updates to a ticket are only triggered under New Engagement if the update is made rapidly after creation.
I don’t seem to be able to get updates to trigger for example if I wait ~10 minutes before making a change to the ticket.
So this solution doesn’t work I’m afraid…. (correct me if I’m wrong!)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Does anyone have any other ideas?
@ameurj Did you get a chance to double check that “New Engagement” also triggers on updates to engagements?