Best answer

Lookup of row in Google sheets points to a specific Sheet number instead of Sheet name.

• 3 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a Zap that will is triggered by Trello card and goes as follows:

Trigger: Label “email” is added to trello card.

1. Text in Formatter by Zapier → Extracts the number of the card name. e.g. 12345
  2. find folder in Google Drive → looks for the folder starting with 12345 in parent folder
  3. find file in Google Drive → looks for a google sheets file in the folder found in step 2
  4. lookup row → opens the file in Step 3 and looks inside the worksheet tab called “email” for a specific row.
  5. Draft Gmail → prepares a draft email with content from step 4.

Issue: When I set it up and test it, all goes fine. But then I noticed that in the configuration of step 4, when I define the sheet “Email”, it also shows sheet number ‘2139949480’ under the sheet name.

When I run the zap on any other card than the one that was used during the setup, I get an error on Step 4 as he cannot find sheet ‘2139949480’.

When I test the Zap step by step on another file, the worksheet tab “email” will have a completely different number, and thus I know that it will fail again in the future on another card.

The Google Sheet documents are structured identically with only different data inside.

I thought that in the past, it was no issue to do such operations, but I might be mistaken. How can I lookup a specific row of a specific worksheet, even if the Google sheets document is different?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 3 February 2024, 16:37

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Deima 

Try adding this Zap action: GSheets - Find Worksheet

Then map the Worksheet ID across Zap steps to make it dynamic.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Troy Tessalone . This really fixed the issue.

It will cost another step, but therefore I can now automatically fill my email with the information needed.
This made my day! thnx again!