Question

Looking to automate an entire onboarding process

• 27 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

We have an onboarding process for new users through a Google Form. Currently, the flow is Google Form → Slack w/ responses (to notify us) then the rest is manual. I have a master Google Sheet with different worksheets for each employee onboarded. I have to first copy an existing sheet, then start to fill out name, title, birthday, phone number, etc. I have looked through the Zapier/Sheets steps and I’m not sure if the following is possible:

• Copy Existing Sheet to a new sheet (this is doable, but can I have Zapier rename the sheet?)
  • Take the populated data from the first step/form submission results and have Zapier input into specific rows/columns?

I tried doing this and can’t figure out how to keep the flow going and how to make my newly copied sheet a variable so Zapier knows to update info on the newest created one automatically. Is this possible? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ReturnCo!

If you’re using the Copy worksheet action there isn’t a way to use Zapier to rename the sheet, sorry about that. 

To take the data from the Google Form and add it to the new sheet, you’ll need to use the worksheet ID as a custom value. This is a little tricky for Google sheets, but it is possible. This guide explains how to set up a Zap step so you can use the a custom value for a Google Spreadsheet, you can use the same principal for a worksheet:

I hope that helps, let us know if you have any questions!