Best answer

Looking for clarity on ChatGPT Assistant Instructions and Response Instructions

• 28 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I’m using the Conversation with Assistants action and would appreciate some further clarity on the following.

Assistant Instructions

Regarding Assistant Instructions, if I have an Assistant from my Open AI account with limited or placeholder system prompt text (e.g. “You are a blog writer.”), could I use Zapier’s Assistant Instructions field to replace the system instructions in the Open AI Assistant (e.g. “You are a blog writer and your audience are X...”)? My use case for this would be to dynamically change the system instruction, rather than have multiple Assistants in my Open AI account.

Response Instructions

If the above ‘Assistant Instructions’ field is used to write a system prompt dynamically, what then is this Response Instructions field?

Regards,

MJ

icon

Best answer by SamB 30 January 2024, 13:14

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @MJ_IATC, great questions! 

Regarding Assistant Instructions, if I have an Assistant from my Open AI account with limited or placeholder system prompt text (e.g. “You are a blog writer.”), could I use Zapier’s Assistant Instructions field to replace the system instructions in the Open AI Assistant (e.g. “You are a blog writer and your audience are X...”)?

In short, no, that field would not override the existing assistant’s instructions.

The Assistant Instructions field is used to give the assistant specific instructions relevant to its role. As you’ve already got an assistant set up you would leave the Assistant NameAssistant Instructions, and Model fields blank as you will have already configured those settings within your OpenAI account. You'd only fill out those fields if you were wanting to create a new assistant every time your Zap runs. 

If the above ‘Assistant Instructions’ field is used to write a system prompt dynamically, what then is this Response Instructions field?

To override the existing instructions for an existing OpenAI assistant, you’d add the dynamic instructions into the Response Instructions field. This would allow you to dynamically override the instructions for each run of the Zap.

Hope that helps to clarify things. Let me know if you have any further questions or run into any issues in setting this up at all - happy to help! 🙂