Best answer

Link Google Sheet with Excel spreadsheet, both in Google Drive?

• 14 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Is it possible to link a google sheet and an excel sheet if they are both stored in google drive?  I’ve started setting up a Zap, but it looks like the Excel spreadsheet needs to be stored in OneDrive, which I don’t use and don’t want to use!

icon

Best answer by christina.d 24 June 2022, 02:08

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @hillbilly63_uk

You’re right that to update an Excel spreadsheet, you need to do it through a Microsoft OneDrive account, sorry about that! Is there a reason that you need to keep the sheet as an Excel sheet and haven’t converted it to a Google Sheet? Maybe we can find you a workaround here! 😁

Hi, thanks for your reply.  The excel sheet contains a lot of VBA macros and has taken years to build, converting it to a Google Sheet isn’t feasible unfortunately.  Perhaps a solution is to have a ‘middle man’ excel sheet in OneDrive and link that to my main Excel sheet.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there @hillbilly63_uk
You could utilize an Excel sheet in OneDrive! I’m curious how you’re thinking to link this back to the Excel sheet being stored in Google Drive?
Let us know and we’ll keep brain storming! 🙂

Hi Christina, I would just have both the OneDrive and Google Drive spreadsheets sync’d to the hard drive on my computer and then use native excel function to refer cells on one spreadsheet to the other.  No an elegant solution though, and dependant on my computer being on. 

To be honest, what I will probably do is use excel’s native ability to connect to external sources and connect to the google sheet this way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for sharing your ultimate solution with us, @hillbilly63_uk! I’ll summarize some of the thoughts here but keep us posted if you have any other q’s! 

You’re right that to update an Excel spreadsheet, you need to do it through a Microsoft OneDrive account…

To be honest, what I will probably do is use excel’s native ability to connect to external sources and connect to the google sheet this way.