Question

Knowing who made changes in a Google Sheet

• 23 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

I'm a new user of Zap, which seems to be a very powerful tool, but I'm having a little trouble getting the result I want.

I work with a team and we all share the same Google Sheet, I would like to be informed on Slack each time someone makes a change (especially each time someone modifies a box).

I managed to get a direct message when someone makes a change, I get the row number on that message, but I can't figure out how to add who did it and what the change was.

How can I customize the message to get all these informations ?

Thank you,

Boris

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Boris RIV 

Sadly, the data Google Sheets gives when it triggers on a row change isn’t going to include either of these things.

The only thing I can think of is adding a column where people can make a note of who they are and what change they made - then you can pass that into the Slack message.

Not ideal I know!

Userlevel 1

Hi @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu 

Thank you for your answer.

Let’s say I assign a specific column to each one, Jack has Column A, Mary has Column B.

I can create 2 different zaps, the first one for any change in column A, and the second one for any change on Column B. And then set up a message Jack ; Row 123 ; “Done” if any box on the column A is amended, am I right ?

This way the only thing I don’t get is what there was on the box before, but should be ok that way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Boris RIV ,

Checking in to see if you were able to get your Zap squared away! I see that you were added to a feature request for your original question but wanted to make sure the above flow worked for you.

Just let us know if you have any further questions- happy to help!