Best answer

Jira Priority field is not available in the dropdown in filter for Zapier

I need a zap to check specific Jira field update and value to send a slack message based on that. 
But there is no better option than filter for Zapier and the problem is the field I’m looking for is not available in the dropdown. 
The dropdown is full of illogical field names. 

What other ways do you now to trigger the zap based on jira field value change?

icon

Best answer by chanelle 23 May 2023, 22:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Hasmik H, thanks for joining the Community here! 🙂

The Updated Issue trigger would indeed be the one to use here. Is the priority field visible in the issue sample that’s been pulled in from Jira? Just wondering if a new sample needs to be selected, one that contains a value in that priorities field, so that the filter can access the field. As sometimes we won’t be sent a field by an app if there’s no value in it. Do you think that could be the case here?

If not, would you mind sharing some screenshots showing how the priority field appears in the sample in trigger? And also what fields are listed when you search for the field in the filter. Please remember to remove/hide any private information like names, emails etc. from them before sharing.

Keen to get to the bottom of this, so we’ll be keeping an eye out for your reply! 

Hey @SamB 
Sure let’s have look at the screenshot. I tried to use Fields Priority Name but just guessing if that the right one. Why isn’t there a field just named “Priority”. Not sure if that was the right choice but the automation didn’t work. 

Would appreciate your guidance.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for sharing that screenshot here, @Hasmik H. It’s much appreciated! 

Ah, it looks like the details for the priority field are coming over as line items that’s why the name of the fields don’t quite match what you’re expecting. You guessed correctly by selecting that Fields Priority Name field as it appears to contain the priority of the issue. For line item fields it’s a bit like displaying a file location like Fields > Priority > Name but with the “>” omitted. 

You’d just need to set the filter rule to (Text) Contains and type in the priority you want that filter rule to check for in the box to the right of it. For example: 
d336700e8f68f58c7a67bd77d8b868b7.png
The above example set up would create a filter where the Zap would only continue for updated issues where the priority is “High”.

Can you give that a try and let us know how that goes?

What if I want to trigger the zap exactly when the priority value get’s changed. 
Do you think this is still the right direction to take?

let’s say it was changed from normal to Blocker.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Hasmik H

Apologies, if it’s okay, I wanted to backtrack a bit to understand how you’d like this zap to work. 🙂

It sounds like you’d like to trigger on a status change and post a slack message - which is perfect. As Sam mentioned the above zap would only proceed to post a message in Slack if the status change is “High”.

If you’d like a different action to take place dependent on the status, we’d potentially be looking at several different zaps with a Filter step and the related action for each Status or Paths by Zapier.

Here’s a resource on conditional logic if it’s useful:

If you’re looking for something entirely different, keep us posted - we definitely want to help! 

hey @christina.d 
basically I want an automation that will work this way.

Whenever task priority has been changed trigger the zap and double check

Send Slack messages only in case if that change matches: priority change from anything to Blocker or from anything to High. 

I’m a bit confused of the answers above it seems like you described any status changes to trigger the zap and work only for those that has High priority on them but the thing is I want to check exactly the priority changes whether that was changed or not. 

TheI’ve setup everything the way you suggested but that didn’t work. It is not able to recognize the changes either is not able to compare the value as a text or to identify the real field I need. But at the end it doesn’t work and I need the root-cause of that. 

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Hasmik H!

Can I see if I’ve understood what you need? 

It sounds like you want the Zap to trigger when there has been a change to the priority field in Jira and, a) it should only trigger when the priority field is changed and b) it should trigger no matter what the status was changed to. Is that right?

If that’s the case, there isn’t a way to do that with the Jira issue trigger as it is. We do have a feature request for adding a Jira trigger that will trigger a Zap only when a specific field is updated. If you’d like to be added to that, please could you let us know that you would like to be added and also whether you are using Jira Software Server or Jira Software Cloud. 

The only way I can think of doing this would be to add use a Zap to add all of the issues and statuses to Google Sheets (or airtable, or another table/database app). When the updated issue triggers, you would search the sheet and compare the current status with the previous status (as recorded in the sheet). You’d then add a filter step so that the Zap only continues if those two values are different. 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

hi @Danvers 
Thanks for the detailed answer. 
a) true to trigger only when a specific field value was changed and then send message if that change matches specific values. So there are 2 mandatory conditions. 
b) not by default I need two conditions mentioned above only.

I use Software Cloud and would love to get updated about this feature comping up, hopefully soon. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for sharing that, @Hasmik H - I’ve got your vote added!

While I don’t have an ETA on when or if this will be implemented, this is the best way to stay informed. It’ll ensure you are emailed if and when this goes live.

Sorry to not have better news here but definitely appreciate you flagging this in community! 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey there @Hasmik H, Good news! This feature request was implemented by the developers and is now ready to use with both new and updated issue triggers. Let me know if you have any questions!