Best answer

Is there a way to allow partial matches in "Find Record in Salesforce”?

• 6 September 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

Can anyone advise if there is a way to allow for a partial match in the “Find Record in Salesforce” action?  In this instance I am trying to search for an existing opportunity by part of the name (a unique number that we use to distinguish projects in a proposal-generation system) and update its status (or create a new opportunity if not found).  Searching by just the number that makes up part of the name doesn’t return any results, but if I search for the entire name, it finds the opportunity no problem.  I also don’t appear to be able to use wildcards in the “Find Record in Salesforce" action either.  In Salesforce itself, searching by partial match finds the records without issue, so I’m not sure how the Zapier search differs.

I have tested the “Find Record by Query” action, in which I can use wildcards and can find the record using a partial match, but with the “Find Record by Query” lacking the “Create if not found” functionality, I’m hesitant to create yet more paths within paths, as I am 2-3 layers deep already, and will use this as a last resort

icon

Best answer by SamB 8 September 2021, 10:19

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @CCEP, welcome to the Community! :)

Great question! I’ve been doing some digging on this and it seems that you would need to use the Find Record by Query Salesforce action for this as it uses SOQL syntax to query records. With that action you’re able to use the LIKE operator and % wildcard for partial matches for text strings, which isn’t possible with the Find Record action.

As you’ve already spotted, the Find Record by Query action does not have the optional create record option that the Find Record action has unfortunately. We do have a feature request for a create option to be added to that action so I’ve added your vote for that. I don’t have an ETA on when that would be possible but we’ll email you as soon as it is.

In the meantime, you’d need to use additional Paths to using the Create Record or Update Record actions depending on the results of the Find Record by Query action.