Skip to main content
Best answer

Is there a way to add new Facebook group members to email list and send welcome gifts?

• 16 August 2023
  • 5 replies

I’ve seen some old posts about this and would love to know if there have been any updates on the possibilities of doing this.

When new people join a Facebook group and they answer questions where one of them is requesting their email address:

Is there a zap where when they provide their email address, it gets automatically added to my email list and then sends them a welcome gift?

I use the Beta AI Zap outline and AI automation brainstorm found in the Zapier Learn, ‘what is automation?’ topic and both of them tell me that this is possible BUT there are no options for New Member under Facebook Group to create this zap.

“1. Automate the process of adding new members to your email list: You can use Zapier to connect your Facebook group with your email marketing platform. Set up a zap that triggers whenever someone joins your Facebook group and automatically adds their email address to your email list.

2. Send a welcome email with a gift automatically: Once a new member's email address is added to your email list, you can create a zap that sends them a welcome email with a gift. This can be a PDF guide, an ebook, or any other digital content you want to offer as a welcome gift.

3. Follow up with new members: To engage with new members and build a relationship, you can set up a zap that sends a series of automated follow-up emails. These emails can provide more information about your group, introduce them to your community, and offer additional resources or exclusive content.

When you're done brainstorming, be sure to copy and paste anything you want to save, and then click next to continue.”

“To trigger the Zap when a new member joins your Facebook group, you would use the "New Member" (this doesn’t exist under the options for a Facebook group) trigger option in Zapier. This trigger will activate the Zap whenever a new member joins your Facebook group.

When setting up the Zap, you will need to connect your Facebook group account to Zapier and select the specific group you want to monitor for new members. Zapier will then listen for new members joining that group and trigger the Zap whenever a new member is detected.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with! When you're ready to continue with the course, be sure to copy and paste anything you want to save, and then click next.”

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CoCo Kelly 

Good question.

These are the available Facebook Group Zap app triggers/actions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@CoCo Kelly ,

Those are suggestions the AI bot gave you?

No, there is no New Member trigger on Facebook Groups. The main community thread for tracking this topic is here.

In the meantime I’ve added your email address as a user who is interested in that trigger being added.

Userlevel 1

Hey @CoCo Kelly - I’m the creator of Intro to Automation, including the AI bots in the course.

I want to apologize for the bot hallucinations. I can imagine it’d be frustrating to have a tool point me in a direction that isn’t actually viable.

Zapier is developing AI bots with fewer errors and I’ll work to incorporate them into the course as soon as they’re available.

In the mean time, I’ve added an explicit “sometimes I make stuff up” warning to each bot.

Userlevel 1

Hi @deepgreen82

Thank you for following up on this.  I understand the nature of AI chatbots so totally get it.  I guess one of the things I can do moving forward is double-check that the triggers and actions the AI bot mentions are possible for the apps.

Userlevel 1

@deepgreen82 You may want to take a look at the Zapier Dashboard ‘Create a Zap’ Beta as well because when I typed in my workflow, it came up with the below zap.