Question

Is there a way to add an extra word spoken to the Alexa Trigger Phrase and have it sent to Discord?

• 5 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Is there a way to add an extra word spoken to the message sent to discord?  Trigger phrase is “Alexa, tell zapier to send a message”  <random phrase>

message in discord  <random phrase>??

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JoeSchmoe 

Good question.

Perhaps you can outline a specific example for what you mean by “add an extra word spoken” for us to have more context.

Hi @JoeSchmoe 

Good question.

Perhaps you can outline a specific example for what you mean by “add an extra word spoken” for us to have more context.

I have a discord bot that sends movie requests to a server.  so i can trigger the message via alexa trigger word for zapier and i can format the message to say “/request movie” but no way to include the name of the movie requested via alexa

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JoeSchmoe 

Have you reviewed these help sections?

Alexa says: I couldn't find any zaps matching your trigger phrase.

Make sure you have a Zap created, turn it on and then try asking Alexa again.

Alexa understood when I said my trigger phrase, but couldn’t match it to any of my Zaps.

Make sure the trigger phrase Alexa repeated back to you was correct, and that it exactly matches your Zap. If the trigger phrase Alexa heard wasn’t quite what you said, then it’s likely Alexa has trouble understanding that particular sentence.

Alexa says: Sorry, I didn't understand.

Use a different trigger phrase in your zap, then try again.

Alexa is having some trouble understanding your trigger phrase.

Try editing your trigger phrase and repeating your new phrase again. It’s best to keep these as simple as possible eg. don’t use slang, avoid punctuation when possible. Alexa has trouble with some app’s names, so if your trigger phrase has the name of an app it’s best to remove that.

Alexa says: Zapier is experiencing issues at the moment. Please try again later.

Zapier is having technical difficulties, and should be back up and running soon!

Yes, none of that applies.  Basically I would need a trigger with a wildcard or a trigger that prompts alexa to ask  for a response and then send it to discord.  I am realizing this platform does not have that funcionality.