Question

Is it possible to send rich text from Zapier?

• 28 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to send title, body text, images, and links to a web app called Dovetail via email (using the Email This Chrome extension). Everything is working with the Email by Zapier so everything ends up in a new note in Dovetail, but the formatting of body content never works. If I go HTML it leaves all the HTML code. If I go plain text the images and hyperlinks are just long urls disrupting everything. If I use the Formatter to convert HTML to Markdown (Dovetail uses some Markdown), none of it gets recognized by Dovetail.

When I copy and paste rich text from Notion to Dovetail it all works perfectly, but Zapier doesn’t have the option to send the contents of a page in Notion anywhere 😑.

Is is possible in Zapier to format HTML into rich text similar to what Notion outputs when I successfully copy from notion into Dovetail? 

Many thanks,

Adam

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @forbyus,

Before we dive in deeper, I was wondering if you've tried using the "Remove HTML Tags" function in the Text in Formatter by Zapier action? If not, it's definitely worth giving it a try as it can help remove any unwanted HTML tags from your text.

Please keep us posted! 😊

Userlevel 1

Thanks @ken.a! At your suggestion I just tried that. Trouble is that it does such a good job at removing HTML tags that it also removes all images and links (which I need).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @forbyus! 👋

Sorry to hear Ken’s suggestion didn’t work as hoped. Hmm, perhaps there’s something in the HTML code that Dovetail doesn’t like. If you copy and past the same HTML text into a note in Dovetail is it formatted correctly?

Also, I’m wondering if Dovetail has it’s own version of markdown that it uses. I’ve come across apps in the past that used their own modified version of it. So if that’s the case here then that might explain why when it was converted to markdown it still didn’t display correctly. Do you think that could be it? 

What might help us here is to see a screenshot of an example of the markdown that was sent by the Zap to Dovetail and the result of how that was formatted on the note in Dovetail. And are you also able to recreate the desired formatting for that example using the markdown in Dovetail directly so that we can see if there’s a difference in the markdown that Dovetail uses? Would you mind sharing some screenshots (being sure to remove/hide any private information like names, emails etc.) of that here? 

My thinking here is that if we can compare the markdown that the Zap is sending and what Dovetail is expecting to receive we’ll be able to identify any differences. Then maybe you could use some Formatter actions or a Code by Zapier action to replace the markdown to the sort of markdown that Dovetail is expecting.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Yes, it is possible to send rich text from Zapier. When setting up a Zapier integration, you can format the text using Markdown syntax or HTML.

If you prefer to use Markdown, you can format your text using simple symbols like asterisks for bold, underscores for italics, and backticks for code blocks. Zapier will then convert your Markdown syntax into rich text when sending the data to the target app.

Yes, it is possible to send rich text from Zapier. Zapier supports various applications and integrations that allow you to send formatted or rich text content. For example, you can use the "Email by Zapier" action to send emails with rich text formatting.

When configuring the email action in Zapier, you can usually specify the content of the email using HTML tags or Markdown syntax, depending on the options provided by the specific email service or application you are using. These formatting options allow you to apply various styles such as bold, italics, headings, lists, and more.

By utilizing the available formatting options, you can create visually appealing and structured content to send through Zapier. Just make sure to refer to the documentation or support resources of the specific application you are integrating with Zapier to understand the available formatting options and how to implement them in your Zap...