Skip to main content
Best answer

Is it possible to include the text content from a Google Doc in an email?

• 25 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi all, 

I’ve a zap which populates a Google Doc with information from Airtable. I then want to include the text from the Google Doc in the body of a new email. 

I can get the email to include a PDF version of the Google Doc but I can’t get the Google Doc’s text to be part of the email body itself.

Any ideas?

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@ZapierExplorer -

You should be able to use “File Plaintext Raw Content”: https://www.screencast.com/t/NOI6qQcPr

Userlevel 1

Hi Adam, 

Many thanks for the reply. It turns out that that field only works with specific triggers (neither of which I was using; I was using a Zapier scheduler trigger). From the very-helpful Catherine in Zapier support:

“The contents of a Google Doc are available when using either the New Document in Folder Trigger or the New Document Trigger”

Catherine suggested that a 2-zap approach might be a work around; I’m just about to attempt it.

Many thanks,

Tony

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@ZapierExplorer glad Catherine was able to help you here! Please do keep us posted if this does the trick!

Userlevel 1

Hi there.

Did you have any luck with this @ZapierExplorer? I’m trying to do the same thing but while the document has text in it, the File Raw HTML Content and File Raw Plaintext Content are both empty.

I’m creating the doc in one Zap and then have another that has a New Document in Trigger folder and then a Search for a doc w/ the name of the file that triggered the Zap. The trigger and opening the file are working but those fields are empty.

Thanks!

Todd

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @BostonCHI!

It looks like Jamie from our Support team was able to help you out. For anyone else who stumbles upon this, here’s what the solution was:

Since your [name redacted] Zap is currently creating the Google Doc that I assume you want to use in your [name redacted] Zap, you could change the trigger action to look for New Documents in a Folder in Google Docs. This action does provide the file_raw_plaintext_content field that you can use in this workflow. 👍

I’m not sure if anyone’s figured it out or could explain it a different way? I don’t see either of those options. 

I haven’t figured this out either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there, @aharp94 and @Matthew Tejeda

The file_raw_plaintext_content field seems to only be available when using the the New Document or New Document in Folder triggers for Google Docs. Having said that, I did discover a way to extract the text from a Google Doc that’s found by a Find a Document step, which may be useful to you!

You can read more about how to do that here:

Hope that helps! 🙂