Question

Is it possible to duplicate an Evernote note via Zapier?

• 22 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi --

Evernote doesn’t allow you to set default formatting (e.g. default font size) for notes. However you can change the formats by hand. I’d like to manually create a correctly-formatted note called (for example) “DEFAULT NOTE TEMPLATE”, and then have Zapier create a new note for me every morning by duplicating that note and calling it something like “Daily Journal YYYY-MM-DD”.

I’m getting stuck on the “duplicating that note” part. I can see how to create a new note via Zapier, but is there a way to tell it to make a copy of an existing note?

Thanks in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Ar3m3f 

Good question.

To help us have context, please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’m an Evernote Certified Expert. You don’t need Zapier to exactly duplicate notes in Evernote so that you can maintain the formatting. You only need Evernote. I do this all the time.

I have dozens of notes set up as template notes with all the formatting and content ready to fill in as needed. When I want to use a template as a note, I just right-click on the note name and choose “Duplicate” and I get an exact copy immediately that I then relabel and use.

Here’s a quick explainer video if you don’t know how to duplicate notes. Hope that helps!

Sandee

Userlevel 3

Thanks @SandeeRodriguez I know this is possible within Evernote. However I like to use Evernote for a daily journaling tool, where I’m maintaining both a Work Journal and a Personal Journal. So I want Zapier to automatically create two new notes every day (one for each journal), including using this template and giving them a specific title (e.g. “Work Journal for October 23, 2023”).

I know I can do this all by hand, but automation is what Zapier is about 😀 so I was really hoping I could fully automate this so the two new, daily journal entry notes are waiting for me when I wake up.

Userlevel 3

@Troy Tessalone here is what the Zap looks like. I generated this using the AI and the following prompt:

Every morning at 5am, find the Evernote note named "MYTEMPLATE", duplicate it, and rename it to "Work Journal for YYYY-MM-DD", where "YYYY" is the current year, "MM" is the current month number, and "DD" is the current day

Here is what the Zap looks like:

The problem is in Step 3: although the step is named “Duplicate the note”, it isn’t actually duplicating it. The action in the step is “Append to Note”:

As a result, I get an empty note, rather than copying the full template and formatting from the original MYTEMPLATE note.

Any suggestions?

Userlevel 1

I know I can do this all by hand, but automation is what Zapier is about 😀 so I was really hoping I could fully automate this so the two new, daily journal entry notes are waiting for me when I wake up.

I totally understand wanting to automate the process. The more tasks tech can do for us, the better.

Another alternative, if Zapier cannot do the task, is to set aside time to pre-create a notebook for your Work Journal and your Personal Journal. Create the initial template for each, then duplicate 365 notes in each notebook, ready to update each day. It won’t take as long as it sounds since all you are doing is creating copies of each template note.

Hope you find a solution that works well!