Best answer

Import range in Google Sheets

• 8 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I’ve a spreadsheet with formula “=importrange(..)”.

Understood that when using =importrange, this kind of query and/or import formula only makes the update at the moment that the sheet is opened. This is a known behavior of the Google Sheets API, as discussed here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49268415/how-frequently-does-importrange-refresh — so the delay you're seeing in triggering is corresponding to the times that user opened the sheet.

Seems the Zap trigger is not consistent.  Some trigger 30 mins later, some doesn’t trigger until user open the spreadsheet.  To wait for user open the spreadsheet is a bit doesn’t make sense.  Cos the form is public submission and we don’t know when they submit the form.

My flow:

• Public submit via Google Forms
  • Spreadsheet A:  Acknowledgement email to respondent via Zap (Trigger any column)
  • Spreadsheet B:  Use =importrange from Spreadsheet A to this spreadsheet B and another email send to respondent via Zap (Trigger ColA=Timestamp)

Anyone have any workaround or solution for the above,

icon

Best answer by SWMH 5 May 2021, 11:56

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@SWMH 

Can you share screenshots of how your Zapier workflow is configured?

What is the goal of importrange? ImportRange requires user granted permissions when referencing a new spreadsheet for the first time. 

Share with you the Zapier Workflow Configuration

The goal of importrange is to populate data from Google Forms Response into another Google Sheets namely Coordinator, there is vlookup for the charges and doctor’s email address from the worksheet.  The Zapier workflow only triggers when I open the Coordinator spreadsheet.

Share with you the Coordinator Spreadsheet.

I’ve tried with Trigger with Google Sheets and it works fine with the same spreadsheet (with importrange).

Kindly advise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@SWMH 
Just checking in to see if you still need help with this? 

Hi @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu ,

Thanks for checking.

Seems everything working fine now.  Not mistaken, that time it is due to the Zapier issue which has been fixed.