Question

Import CSV from website

• 15 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi all.

I have a cryptocurrency portfolio tracker that I’ve created in Google Sheets.

I’ve been relying on APIs (CoinGecko/CoinMarketCap and others) for historic price information of specific cryptocurrencies so I can see my portfolio’s value over time.

However, these APIs are less and less reliable usually due to the low quotas they offer for free (and extortionate pricing for their paid API plans).

A far more reliable method for me is to download a CSV file manually from CoinGecko containing historic price data and then import into Google Sheets and use a VLOOKUP to match the date and price from a master sheet.

The problem is, I am trying to monitor around 50 or so coins and this is very tedious to keep downloading CSVs, and uploading them.

Could anyone think of a way to automatically do this using Zapier (or other methods)?

I currently get the CSV from going to the coin on CoinGecko (let’s take Stellar/XLM for example): https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/stellar/historical_data#panel and clicking the “Export As” link on the right and selecting CSV.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @thedelph!

As there’s no coingecko Zapier integration, there isn’t a simple way to do this, but if you’re familiar with webhooks and/or APIs you could do this. 

I took a look at the CoinGecko API, and there is a Get request that allows you to pull historical data for markets. 

It looks like the data you’d get back from those requests would be in a json format, so you’d need to convert that into something that the Google Sheet could read (eg a csv format). All in all, it sounds like your best bet would be to make your own CoinGecko custom integration using the Zapier developer platform. If you’re that isn’t an option for you based on your time/knowledge, you can hire a Zapier expert to develop one for you. 

Finally, we do have an internal list of apps that have been requested by users, and CoinGecko is on there.

I've added your email address as a vote for it, so if it does get made, you'll get an email to let you know! Most new Zapier integrations are built by the companies/teams that created the apps, so you could reach out to CoinGecko team to ask them to add a Zapier integration 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!