Skip to main content

I have a 2 step zap setup to import order information from Ecwid to a Google Sheet.  Each order creates a new row.  But I have one Column that is a drop down menu designed to be changed by hand (by a person) when the order is shipped.  When Zapier imports the data, it clears the drop down menu even if I leave that column blank.  

Is there a way to have Zapier ignore an entire column?  

Thank you!

Hi @Winterludes 

The GSheet Create Row step creates a new row, it does not fill in an existing row.

e.g. If the worksheet had 10 rows, after the Zap step runs it will have 11 rows.

Yes I know it creates a new row.  But one of the columns in my spreadsheet is a drop down menu, and when zapier inputs the data from my Ecwid store order to the new row, it erases the drop down menu even though I have that cell blank in the zap settings.  So leaving. the cell blank in the zap settings isn’t enough, there needs to be some way to ignore a cell so it doesn’t erase things like drop down menus.  

This drop down menu is very important because I will be collaborating on this sheet with someone else who needs to change the order status for me to see.  

Thank you!

Here’s a screenshot of my sheet.  Column A is what needs to be ignored, so the zap doesn’t erase the drop down menu.  

@Winterludes 

When the Zap step creates a new row it does not keep the dropdown list formatting.

You’d have to take a different approach and find the next empty row, then update that row instead.

An alternative would be to use Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has specific field types. (e.g. single select dropdown, date, single text, checkbox, formula, etc.)

You would not have this issue using Airtable.

Is there really no way to ignore a column?  Or are you saying that even if Zapier ignored that column, it would be creating a new row and so there would be no formatting in column A?  So ignoring the column isn’t a solution?

Hi @Winterludes,

When Zapier creates a new row, it doesn’t retain the formatting from previous rows, even if a column is ignored. To maintain specific formatting in column A, you’ll need to manually adjust it after the new row is created or use a different tool that supports formatting. Ignoring the column won’t solve the issue.