Question

I would like to automate venmo to Bloomerang

• 6 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Is it possible to automate venmo to bloomerang? We already have Paypal mapped and automated. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @animalrescue 

It is always a good idea to phrase your question in the form of “When this happens, do that”. This way we can help you better. 

I see there are available integrations with bloomerang. As for Venmo, they do have API endpoints that you can check here https://venmo.com/docs/overview 

when someone submits a payment via venmo, I want it logged in bloomerang. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

In this case you can do the following: 

1. Trigger > Webhook by Zapier > https://api.venmo.com/v1/payments?access_token=<access_token> (this will trigger whenever a new payment is done)
  2. Action > Create Donation in Bloomerang 

Is there something that i need to fill in for the access token?

I would need all the other specifics to set up the trigger. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@animalrescue 

You will need to read the API docs for specifics. https://venmo.com/docs/overview or consider hiring an expert to help you. 

Another solution might be to use the email notifications you get from Venmo and a Zapier Email Forwarder. Below is how you could set up an email filter to forward emails from a Gmail inbox to Zapier’s email parser. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @animalrescue ,

Follow this to get your access token 

Getting your own access token without OAuth

A developer often wants an access token for their own account so they can start interacting with our API before integrating an OAuth flow. An access token for your own account can be found by logging in, going to the developer tab in your settings, and clicking 'Get Token'. This access token has the ability to make payments from your Venmo account and access to your balance, phone number, primary email and profile information, so keep it secure. If you want a new access token, you can expire the old token and generate a new one by clicking 'refresh'.

You can setup the web hook by checking here 

Setting up webhooks

To set up webhooks for personal use, log into your Venmo account and check out the developer tab on the settings page. This is where you can enter the URL of your webhook handler.

You can also set the callback URL for your registered Venmo app from this tab. Click on the name of the app in the applications list and scroll to the bottom to enter your webhook URL. Note that the option to add a webhook is only available for apps that you have already created. It will not be visible when you first create the app.

To set a webhook URL (for both personal and app use), you'll need to verify your webhook handler. We verify webhook callback urls by sending a GET request to your webhook URL with a query parameter called venmo_challenge. Your webhook URL will be verified if your response returns thevenmo_challenge value in plaintext.

As I dont have a Venmo account Im unable to check that inside an account 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @animalrescue  (sitting next to my rescue pup Stewart as I’m writing this!), checking in with your progress on this thread- we’ve got a few experts weighing in so I’d love to know if you’re all set or if you hit any other roadblocks. 

Let us know either way! - Rachael