Question

I need to update a tag list for my Mailchimp subscribers. Is it possible to have a Zap to send the exact tag list?

• 23 April 2022
  • 8 replies

Hello everyone! First time asking for help here. I need to update a list of tags for my Mailchimp subscribers. 

I manage my CRM in Airtable : each subscriber has a list of Tags, e.g. EmailX is linked to tags Tag1, Tag2 & Tag3. I can go to Airtable and add Tag4. Zapier then detects the change and adds Tag4 to the mailchimp subscriber with EmailX. 

However, if I DELETE a tag in Airtable, Zapier won't remove it from MailChimp : If I now change the tag list linked to EmailX to [Tag1, Tag3] → It stays [Tag1, Tag2, Tag3, Tag4] in Mailchipm.

I've tried : using 3 blank spaces in the Zapier Tag field for mailChimp “   “ hoping to clear the tag list but that creates an error (tag field cannot be empty). 

I've tried using the “Remove Subscriber from Tag” function, but figuring out for each user which tag needs to be removed sounds like hell.

Is there a way to have Zapier send the exact tag list? Or clear out all tags for a subscriber then add the new list?

Thanks a lot for the help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Hicham_S 

Good question.

Here’s the logic that needs to be configured…

Zap Steps

1. Trigger: Airtable - New/Updated Record
    1. This will have the new list of Tags
  2. Action: Mailchimp - Find Subscriber
    1. This will return the current list of Tags
  3. Action: Code
    1. This will be used to determine which Tags to:
      1. Keep
      2. Add
      3. Remove
  4. Action: Looping
    1. Used to handle the variable number of
  5. Action: (TBD) Formatter > Utilities > Lookup Table
    1. Used to translate values from the Tag name to the Tag ID
  6. Action: Mailchimp - Remove Tag
    1. Note: This expects the Tag ID, not the Tag name
      Example:

Alternative

Use the Mailchimp API: https://mailchimp.com/developer/marketing/api/list-member-tags/add-or-remove-member-tags/

App APIs can be used in Zaps with the Webhooks app as an action step: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @Hicham_S! I just wanted to check in and see if you were able to implement Troy’s recommendation? 🤔I’m curious to see if you were able to figure out a way for Zapier to delete your removed tags?

@TamRazzleDazzle I haven't managed to test this, because it's far more complicated than I hoped for. In particular, step 5 is still a mystery. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Hicham_S 

Lookup Table help article: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/create-lookup-tables-in-zaps

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey, @Hicham_S !

How many possible tags are there in your Mailchimp account? If there aren’t many, you may be able to come up with a simpler, but bulkier workaround using Airtable views and/or Paths.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Troy Tessalone!

Given that MailChimp returns tags like this…

… and we could use a second table in Airtable for the tags, then link the records...

...is there a Code step that can do similar to this...

… but compare what’s coming from Airtable to what’s coming from MailChimp and output the unique values?

This way we’d have the tag IDs directly in Airtable. Just have to compare what’s there to what MailChimp is showing, but I don’t know the code that could do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@nicksimard 

The Code snippet to detect which Tags to add/remove/keep between 2 lists is a bit more involved, and not something I’d give away freely.

Hey, @Hicham_S !

How many possible tags are there in your Mailchimp account? If there aren’t many, you may be able to come up with a simpler, but bulkier workaround using Airtable views and/or Paths.

Thanks @MichelleS, I'll look into that - haven't used Customer Journeys yet. I'm not sure how robust this would be to users adding custom tags in Airtable that aren't part of the path. I might just have to dive into a more complex automation.