Skip to main content
Question

I can update specific Notion database items. Now how can I update a GDrive folder name automatically from a change in the Notion database item?

• 8 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi!

When I change the property of a Notion Database item, a Zap creates a GDrive folder, a ClickUp task and updates the Notion database item.

Now: The name of the database item includes a date. When that date is changed, the name of the database item changes. I’d like the GDrive folder and ClickUp task to be updates automatically to respond to that name change.

Would be cool to trigger off of the change in value of a defined property of the database item but no luck.

Would love some ideas! 🙌🏾

Cheers

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi and welcome to the Community, @marketingcollective! 👋

We’ve got an existing feature request for the ability to trigger a Zap from a change in a specific database item property which was discussed in the Community here:

I’ve gone and added your vote to have that feature built. I can’t make any promises around when/if it would be added by but we’ll definitely be in touch by email as soon as it is! There’s a workaround mentioned on that related topic of using a filter to check whether the update included a specific value but that’s not going to work for your use case here.

That said, since the ID for the item wouldn’t be changed but it’s name would there may be an alternative workaround here. I’m thinking that perhaps you could keep a record of each Notion database item name and it’s ID number in a third party app like Zapier Tables or Google Sheets for example. And you’d have a Zap that runs when a notion item is updated, checks the table/spreadsheet etc for a match on the ID of the database item and creates one if a match isn’t found. Then you could use a filter action in the Zap to check whether the name in the matching record/row it found matches the name that was supplied by the Notion trigger. If it does find a match then it’s likely an update to another database item property. And if it does not match then that would indicate that the update was to the name. Allowing the Zap to then continue on to search for the ClickUp task and update it accordingly.

How does that sound? Do you think that workaround might do the trick for now?