Question

How would you add rows from an emailed Excel file into a Google Sheet?

• 18 February 2022
  • 4 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I get emailed an Excel file every week. I want take all of the rows from this file and add them to a master Google Sheet. Can anyone suggest a workflow to do this? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @pshaley 

If you are emailed an excel file then you will likely need to convert it to a csv first. 

A proposed flow could be:
Trigger: New Email
Action: Replace File in Google Drive (that way you just replace the same file every week). This should return a csv version of the file.

Action: Upload CSV File from previous step (Formatter Step by Zapier)
Action: Create Spreadsheet Row(s) in Google Sheets using date from csv file.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @pshaley

There are some limitations to be aware of…

1. If you’re using Gmail, then you’ll want to use this Zap trigger: Gmail New Attachment/

2. The Excel file needs to be formatted as a flat file, no grouped rows/columns, no gap rows/columns, etc.
  3. The Formatter > Utilities > Import CSV File can only handle 500 rows

@Troy Tessalone thanks your solution seems to work. I’m running into an issue where the file has merged columns. Is it possible to flatten the file via a Zapier action or does that need to happen pre-load?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@pshaley

Is it possible to flatten the file via a Zapier action or does that need to happen pre-load?

You can try uploading the file to GDrive which will return a CSV version of the file, but since the file has merged columns/rows, the flattened file may not be formatted correctly as a result, and could cause the Zap to error.

Check this related topic: